Sign in to follow this  
jlp

Need help ASAP.....Bought to spend some $$$$

Ok fellows. I need some help! I am going to buy myself a rod today specifically for flipping heavy cover/ vegetation. Please tell me if this rod will work:

7'6" Heavy rod with an x-fast tip.

ALSO can somebody PLEASE explain to me WHAT the advatages are between fast and x-fast tips are??? Will the rod I noted have the backbone/rod tip to get a MONSTER out of heavy cover???/

It should. What type of blank or rod is it? I use a 7' Allstar MH with a fast tip. Try to keep the rod and reel as light(Weight wise) as possible. You will need one that will give you some feel. Some of the heavier rods have no feel and you may have problems detecting the strike. I personally do not care for a heavy rod. Seems I lose to much feeling and casting suffers. JMO.

Welcome to the forum

It will work, but I think there are better options.  I don't (wouldn't) use an X-fast for flippin.  Most flipping rods are mod-fast (but some are fast) the slower the action, the more shock absorption you get.  And when you set hook at close range, a little give can save a lot of things. (muscles, rods, line, bent hooks, etc.)  

An X-fast will pitch nicely though, but that's another thread.  Pitching is usually done at a greater distance and that's why the X-fast isn't detrimental.

The rod you listed will work but it will be harder on you, the fish and the other gear being used.  If you plan to flip much, I'd suggest you look to a mod-fast or fast in the heavy power.  

It will work, but I think there are better options. I don't (wouldn't) use an X-fast for flippin. Most flipping rods are mod-fast (but some are fast) the slower the action, the more shock absorption you get. And when you set hook at close range, a little give can save a lot of things. (muscles, rods, line, bent hooks, etc.)

An X-fast will pitch nicely though, but that's another thread. Pitching is usually done at a greater distance and that's why the X-fast isn't detrimental.

The main purpose of this rod is fliping HEAVY vegetation line extending probably 9 foot from the boat. NOT flipping trees or bank, just HEAVY VEGETATION!

The type of cover really is less of a factor than the distance you are flipping.  Like I said- at close range, a mod-fast is the more popular choice... and 9 feet is definitely close range.

My own self would prefer the heavy X Fast.  I want to move that fish and gain a immediate advantage in heavy cover like that.  I'm different that way I guess, I usually use stiffer rods than everyone else does.