Sign in to follow this  
RLinNH

I Think I got a Heck of A Deal

I have been foaming at the mouth for about a year now over a Crank Bait Rod and Reel outfit. Last night I finally pulled the trigger. I picked up the Quantum KVD 7 ft. Crank Bait Rod, and i WAS going to match it with a Quantum Energy PT Bait Caster. But, Bass Pro was out of stock, and I really didn't want to wait for it. So I meandered over to Cabelas to see if they had any in stock. Lo and behold, they were out also. BUT, they did have a Quantum Tour Edition PT with the 7.0:1 speed, which was right up my alley as far as what I was looking for. And could you believe that they are having a sale on them? Normally $240, I got it for $130. :P So, yeah, I am now doing the Pee Pee dance over here waiting for the UPS guy to show up at the door.

I hope that this one is like the Energy PT Bait Caster as I already have one, and I am in love with it. Crossing my fingers that they are one in the same.

Just felt like sharing... :)

Well...Not to burst your bubble, but for cranks you would been better off with a lower gear ratio, like 5:1 or even 6:1.

Anyhow, enjoy your new toys !!!

Well...Not to burst your bubble, but for cranks you would been better off with a lower gear ratio, like 5:1 or even 6:1.

Anyhow, enjoy your new toys !!!

Could you explain to me why a Lower gear ratio would be better? I figured that I could burn a Crank bait with this ratio if I wanted to. If I want to slow the Crank down, I can just slow down the retrieve. What am I missing? :-?

The thought is that with the lower gear ratio you can gain more power or torque as most people will tell you. Helps you move the baits with more resistance more easily.

Really it depends on what you are going with this combo. If you are throwing big deep divers yeah you might get a little tired. However, if you are throwing smaller shallow or any type of shallow diver it shouldn't be a problem. The less resistance you have the easier it will be.

That said I usually use my 7:1 Energy for almost anything. About the only this I won't throw on it are the large deep divers because I have the 5:1 or what ever it is actually.

i just bought the tour edition pt, absolutely love it, and for the price it was a great buy