Sign in to follow this  
garry77

best knot ?

What is the best knot for tying braid to fluoro or mono? I've been using the blood knot but it's kind of a pain to tie and doesn't give me much confidence that my leader won't separate on a good fish.Anything easier and quicker to tie that holds good?

I use a blood knot. I made a simple jig to help tie these, and it works great. I get very consistent knots that hold extremely well.

Try googling "slim beauty knot." Easier to tie than it looks at first. The advantage for me is that the tag-end of the stiff fluoro leader points back toward the reel once the knot is complete. This way, it doesn't catch in the guides as you cast.

uni uni, make sure to wet the line before you pull it tight

I have used the uni-uni for years and have had little trouble with it.  With practice it is an easy knot to ty.  It will get beaten up going through the guides after a while and you should keep track of this issue or you may lose a nice fish.  Like I did once.

I am experimenting with the Albright because it is smaller.  The flouro only gets doubled with the Albright-with uni uni it wraps 5 thicknesses.  The issue I have to be sure of is that the flouro doesn't get damaged in the sharp reversal of the Albright. So far so good.  It is used in salt water for this application, so should be ok.

I will check on the other smaller knot mentioned in previous post.

I like the albright I've been useing it for years in the salt water and it's pretty easy to tie with just a little practice

I recently started using fluoro leaders, i use the Improved albright aka alberto knot exclusively.  Easy to tie and I've never had the knot fail