Sign in to follow this  
Low_Budget_Hooker

Swimbait reel features

What features do you look for in a swimbait reel.  Why the wide spool?  Longer casts?  come off the spool easier?

scenario- why would my calcutta 201 not be good enough on a 7' 6" H rod, to throw something like a BBZ-1?

I too was wondering the same thing.  Why isn't my cardiff 200a sufficient enough to throw swimbaits.  It could hold plenty of line probably 180-200 yds of braid (8lb dia.)  It's not like a bass is going to make a 100yd run.

As a swimbait newbie myself, I would say that the wide spool is necessary so you can have >100 yrds of 20+ lb test. For most applications Mono is perferrred and a Cardiff 200 will hold <80yds of line.

As for the reel you need to have something that will get the fish to the boat now so the fish wont throw the swimbait. Not to mention you have in some cases a 1/2lb swimbait on the other end.

A 7'6" rod would be too short IMO to throw a BBZ-1? And the BBZ-1 has a line recommendation of 25 lb mono which probably exceeds the amount of line that you would be comfortable fishing with on a Cardiff 200. Just my 2 cents.

I use an Abu Garcia left handed retrieve, can not remember the model # but is the one with SS bearings....  It was actually my salmon reel when I lived in the Pacific Northwest.....  Great cranking power and lots of line capacity.

Line capacity is a big deal, especially when you're using 25 and 30lb test...

I also retie pretty often, so the more line on there, the better.

scenario- why would my calcutta 201 not be good enough on a 7' 6" H rod, to throw something like a BBZ-1?

I use the Cardiff 201 and 301 for SB. I will not cast a 5 oz lure with less than 25 lbs line, so the 201 is out of picture.

For that size lure you need a SB rod capable of handling it and long enough to cast it far, something around 8 '.

i use a calcutta 251 ... i love this reel for swimbaiting .... i have it on a okuma 7ft6 heavy fast .... its sweet ...

I too was wondering the same thing. Why isn't my cardiff 200a sufficient enough to throw swimbaits. It could hold plenty of line probably 180-200 yds of braid (8lb dia.) It's not like a bass is going to make a 100yd run.

Why would you use 8# dia. braid for bbz's??? not to call you out or anything, but 20#+ mono is recommended for most "real" swimbaits.

It's all about line capacity, with 25# test on 200 size reel, you could throw a 10" 2X4 with a 15 mph wind at your back a country mile.  Say you backlash and have to cut off 15 yards.  You take your bait through some rocks maybe 10 times through the day, each time cutting off 2 yards, don't forget about each time you retie a new bait, clipping off a foot or too.  Well now your getting low on line, with a 400 size reel and this situation, you would have plenty of extra line.  

When throwing the big baits, you don't want to skimp on your equimpment.  Usually when throwing big baits, your fishing for that one big fish, you don't want to kick yourself for losing that big fish because you skimped out on your reel.  

well i use 17lb cxx on my calcutta 251 ,,, i get around 100yds on there and its more than enough .... the 251 has a solid drag system ,,, to me this is a fine reel for swimbaits  ;)

ohh also not all swimbaiters are from cally ,,,, so not all swimbaiters have a shot at a 10lb pluse bass .... since this is the case for me i see no need for 25lb test .... ;)