Sign in to follow this  
danielgri

New reel?

I am going to buy a new reel mainly for bass fishing... I am looking at either the shimano curado, or the abu garcia revo stx, i was wondering what yall think is a better buy. I am also looking for a nice rod for under $150. Thanks for any help!!!

As much as I like Abu Garcia Revos, even I have to admit there is VERY LITTLE performance difference between the Revos and Curados.   For me, each has it's +'s and -'s.  So, I'd get whichever one I could get for less.

As for rods, right now I'm partial to Fenwick HMGs.  They run about $120.  The rods are exceptionally well made and super sensitive.  Lifetime warranty.   But there are lots of very good rods out there around $150.  

A Revo STX on a Fenwick HMG is a great combo - and there may still be a $50 rebate going on if you buy that combo (???).   A Curado on  Shimano Crucial rod is a winner, too.  

So many good choices.  

As much as I like Abu Garcia Revos, even I have to admit there is VERY LITTLE performance difference between the Revos and Curados.   For me, each has it's +'s and -'s.  So, I'd get whichever one I could get for less.

As for rods, right now I'm partial to Fenwick HMGs.  They run about $120.  The rods are exceptionally well made and super sensitive.  Lifetime warranty.   But there are lots of very good rods out there around $150.  

A Revo STX on a Fenwick HMG is a great combo - and there may still be a $50 rebate going on if you buy that combo (???).   A Curado on  Shimano Crucial rod is a winner, too.  

So many good choices.  

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have an stx and I am about to get another. You will not be disapointed in this reel. It casts a mile and has a very smooth drag. Like Micro said, you will be happy with both as they are great reels.