Sign in to follow this  
thefishingone

Dick's Sporting Goods

I have $60.00 to spend on a new baitcaster reel and rod combo. My question is which baitcaster is the best for that range. I haven't been to Dick's in a week or so and I'm going on Tuesday to buy a new combo. I know they got some $60.00 reel and rod combo's for that price. I got mad today from losing so many lures in the tree's at Miller Park, Lisbon, Maine. So I took my pole and threw it on the ground and messed up my spinning reel it won't close the metal spool release. I didn't mean to break it but it just gives me another reason to get a new combo.

$60 @ Dicks.

It will get you a Abu Garcia Silver Max and  a Matching Berkley Lightning Rod.  I got a 6'6" Med. with mine.

Now here is the Kicker.  It had a $20 off Mail In coupon with it.  I also had a $10 of coupon with me.  So I am gonna end up out $30 for the Combo.

NOT TO BAD.  The rod is $30+ and the Reel $60+ @ Walmart.

I put the reel on a 6' Berkley Bionix ( a good one with out the cheap metal guides) to replace a 5500HCL Abu that just didn't feel right on the rod.

I spooled the Max with 10lb  mono and Love it.

I got an Extra Abu 5500HCL and 6'6" Lightning Rod now.

Ern

Is the Abu Garcia Silver Max $60 dollars as the combo? Is the pole one piece or two because my 5'5 pole can barely fit when it's put together. The two piece pole will defienately be the deal breaker. Do you think Trilene IronSilk 17 pound line will work good? One last thing how much bearings is the Reel? Is it true the more bearings it contains the better?

Combo.  ROD and REEL  =$60  

8-)

Iron Silk .......I don't like.  Believe it or not I have been using the Stren High Impact in the Bulk spool From Wal Mart and love t.

Cheap too.

Ern

Sorry I guessed you missed it I just modified my question after you answered. Is the pole two pieces or one because my 5'5 pole won't fit in my car when its put together.

One Piece.

What kind of car have you got??

You will be hard to find a good baitcast rod and reel under $60 where the rod is 2 piece

Ern

2005 Chevy Impala

Man! I had my eye on that pole ever since you mentioned it. Is there anyway I could trade out poles for a two piece? Or get the same reel but a smaller size pole or is there only one size and all the setup's are the same?

I got mad today from losing so many lures in the tree's at Miller Park, Lisbon, Maine. So I took my pole and threw it on the ground and messed up my spinning reel it won't close the metal spool release. I didn't mean to break it but it just gives me another reason to get a new combo.
I wonder what you'll do to the new combo when YOU cast the lures into the tree's with that one. Sounds like a little anger management while fishing and casting pratice is needed on your part. Not the rod or the reels fault you don't pay attention to what your doing and wind up fishing 20' feet off of the ground/water.

BTW you bent the bail wire on the other reel...... :)

Oops! just checked your age in the profile I should have known.... :;)

Just my .02¢ from the bench.

6'6"  and a 7' both one piece is what they had.

I wouldn't recomend a 2 piece if you could avoid it.

There should be some way to fit the rod in a sedan.

Good luck.

Heck of a combo for what the final price will be.

Ern

Could i just buy the reel itself and buy a two piece pole later? Also I found this reel at Wal*Mart for $50 dollars and it was a 7 bearing reel but I don't remember the brand of it.

Like I said in my orginal post.

And Like the Combo is tagged.

You are getting a $90+ Combo for $60 and then with discounts (mail-in rebate and I used a coupon from the VA Fishing Regs.) Drops the price to like $30.

THE REEL ALONE SEELS FOR $60+ @ WALMART. :-?

Just tring to help ya out.  As Far A a Two piece Rod.  Your on you own to find that one.  :)

I have said enough now,

Ern

I'll keep you updated on what I get Tuesday, hopefully I get a baitcaster reel that is $50 and I just get a $15 pole at Wal*Mart. $5 more isn't that much considering many great lures are around that price range.

I'll keep you updated on what I get Tuesday, hopefully I get a baitcaster reel that is $50 and I just get a $15 pole at Wal*Mart. $5 more isn't that much considering many great lures are around that price range.

I would spend more on the rod than the reel, IMO it's more important.