Sign in to follow this  
aggiebassin

powell or dobyns

anybody who has fished both, which one you like better? with the powell being priced @ $30 less it is more attractive....as long as they are close i would probably go w/ the powell.

anybody who has fished both, which one you like better? with the powell being priced @ $30 less it is more attractive....as long as they are close i would probably go w/ the powell.

I'm wondering the same thing.......Looking at the Powell 703c.

The dobyns rods are excellent. I own about five of them and I also, have one Powell rods. Gary Dobyn's used to work with Powell Rods. His rods are very well balanced. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty with them. They have numerous tehnique specific rods in both spinning and baitcasting.

Hit up BrokeJu, he fishes Dobyns rods exclusively.

My buddy has both and says they are VERY similar, but that the Dobyns seems to have better balance with a reel attached.

This being said...I have fished with a Powell Spinning Rod and was very impressed. I do own a 683C Dobyns Rod with a Revo S and it is my favorite combo I own.

Either way...you're gonna end up with a nice rod. With that $30 break, I would probably save the $30, get the Powell, and spend the extra $30 towards a nice reel.

My buddy (Brokeju) fishes dobyns, and I have a Powell. I like them both, but I like how the Dobyns are balanced.

Haha, guess I didn't even have to post.

I love my Dobyns rods, I have 7 now, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Personally, I would pay the extra few bucks to go with Dobyns rods.  They're better balanced, especially the larger rods, and enable you to fish for countless hours without getting warn out, at all.

Gary has also worked very hard on making these rods JUST right, and wouldn't have anything less.

Another up side is, if you get into Dobyns rods, there's also the Xtreme lineup, if you're willing to shell out a few more bucks, they are DEFINITELY worth it. I have an Xtreme 734, this thing is the best all around rod I've ever fished.

I fish Dobyns rods with Revo STXs , couldn't be more satisfied, and they balance PERFECTLY.