Sign in to follow this  
Crankhead

Braided line questions

I just started using power pro braided line and really like it. I've got it on both my baitcasting and spinning reels. Now I've been told you need to put backing on before putting the braided line on to keep it from spinning on the spool. I've been putting the braid on without backing and haven't had any problems. What does everyone think? Also on my curado I put 20lb test with 6lb diameter. Is the diameter too small. When I cast out I don't really get the distance I usually get when I use fluro.

For less trouble and better casting step up to at least 30# braid (8# mono eq. diameter) and save the 20# line for your spinning reel.

I agree that you have been lucky about the line not slipping. It would behoove you to add the mono backing lest you hook into a lunker. You might not be able to reel her in.

how about the spinning reels? I don't use backing and have had no problems.

Again you have been lucky.

As stated above, you have been lucky.  Another plus to using backing is you end up getting two spools worth of braid from one filler spool.  

I would definately step it up, at the very least 30.  Personally i never use anything less than 50.  I just add a leader if I need smaller or larger line.  

at the very least, put some tape on ur spinning reel's spool, then put the braid on

i use 20lb pp

and i put surgical tape on the spool and braid doesn't slip on my spinning reel

Is there a reason you don't use backing? You probably want to respool when you've cut off about 20 yards or so. Do you then just throw away a whole mess of braid?

If you're fishing for bass only, you can use about 50 yards of braid on top of backing and make that spool you bought go a lot farther.

Power Pro has great tips for using it on their web site.

Also when you think you need to change line just reel it on another reel and you have fresh unused braid ready to be used. The used part is now on the bottom of the spool. Line lasts twice as long.