Sign in to follow this  
Gr8wall

tying to split-rings

Hello all. I noticed my last couple of fishing trips out that when i tie a crankbait on, my knot has a tendency to slide to the opening of the ring and on half the occasions, they start going under the openings on their way out to coming off the ring. how do you guys usually resolve this problem if there is a resolution? Ever since noticing that, i have used quick change snaps but for some reason i dont have much confidence in them. I recently purchased a huge wake bait which i think i am going to have to tie with braid (cause its that big and heavy) and am afraid especially with braid that if my tightened knots slip to the opening portion of the ring that it will untie or come off. so again i ask, what should i do about this? Thanks.

Split ring, not O ring.

Change the split rings for new ones, a split ring that allows the line to slide underneath the opening is a kaput split ring.

thank you for the correction.  could you recommend some split rings for me?  do the split rings that come with the lucky craft crank baits tend to be mediocre ones?  thanks.

thank you for the correction. could you recommend some split rings for me? do the split rings that come with the lucky craft crank baits tend to be mediocre ones? thanks.

Get split ring pliers for the job, they make you life so much easier than doing it with your nails and fingers.

These are good.

The ones found in LC baits are not mediocre, just different.

BPS has what they call oval split rings. They're not really oval, but they do solve the problem.

Until then try this. Tie on your line using any knot you like. Now, cut it off, trimming the tag ends very close. Slide the cut-off knot into the gap and leave it there. Now tie again. The cut-off knot will keep the line out of the gap for a while before it wears out.

Cheers,

GK