Sign in to follow this  
brgbassmaster

what kind of knot to use for braid

ok guys i was using braid this weekend and when i would set the hook my line broke twice at the knot....i have never had this problem with mono or fluoro. so do you guys have a special knot you guys tie for braid? becuase mine wasnt working.

Was it breaking or just coming untied?

For braid I use either the double uni knot or the palomar knot, exclusively.

Later, :)

What rod power/action, and what pound-test braid?

You may need to set your drag lighter, with braid if it doesn't give a tiny bit on the hook set you can reach "critical mass" and break off.

Palomar knot hands down.

There was a recent test shown on the Versus website and the Palomar knot outperformed every other knot by quite a large margin on thier test equipment. I also had some knot failures while using the improved clinch and when I switched to the Palomar those problems immediately stopped. As an added bonus I find it the easiest to tie.

-shore

Palomar for the lighter braids and superlines.  Double uni-knot for the heavier braids.  Also, keep an eye on your knot when fishing single Bass hooks.  The knot can work it's way around to the niche between the eye and the shank of the hook.  If that happens, when you load the line, it breaks at the knot and you think the knot was bad when in fact, the knot gets cut by the end of the eye.

i was using 20lb braid and a MH rod for flipping. guess ill have to figure out how to tie the palomar. thanks guys.