Sign in to follow this  
Dan:

Need advice on first fly fishing setup.

I just enrolled in a course for college that is "The Science of Fly Fishing" (fulfills my lab science requirement--sweet!) and I know that I'll need a fly fishing outfit. I know some guys here fly fish so I figured I'd ask for some recommendations because I know absolutely NOTHING about fly fishing. I'm looking for a rod and reel hopefully around $100 if possible. I know that isn't much but with having to buy all the rest of my books and everything, I don't want to spend all my extra money. Anyway, I would mainly be using it for trout and smallmouth bass so I was thinking a 5wt maybe? Would that be right?

Also, any info on line, leaders, etc would help. Again, I know NOTHING about what I need and how to use it... :-[

Wow which collage is that? It can't be NOVA or Germana or even tech could it? because fishing for a science credit is my kind of school.

-tumnus

JMU

But as far as I know, this is the only fishing related course

There are one of two options I would suggest for you in that price range.  

Option 1:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20457_TGP&id=0051114320386a&navCount=9&podId=0051114&parentId=cat20457&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20457&hasJS=true

The reel is already spooled up with backing and line.  I would suggest the 8'6' 5 weight for you desired application (you can get the 2-piece or 4-piece)

Option 2:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20457&id=0017452316491a&navCount=12&podId=0017452&parentId=cat20457&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20457&hasJS=true

This kit is a little more expensive, but it includes a lot of things you will probably need to buy anyway over time.  I've heard very good things about this combo as well.

Heya Dan,

I got the Genesis outfit from Cabela's (option 2 in the above post), it's my first fly rod/reel so I can't really speak of it's quality.  I have held my friend's outfit that he bought from Walmart and compared to that the genesis is noticably heavier.  

Other than that little tidbit it does come with everything you'll need to get started, later you might want to buy some tippet to add onto the end of the leader.  The flies are low quality though as they've come apart on me after a few fish, and the pack that comes with it is basically useless.

I'm at work so I can't write much now but try the search, there have been a number of really good threads in the past on this very topic.

Check out the TFOs and the Echo rods.  Buy a 6 if you plan on doing more smallie fishing than trout fishing.  Get a reel that you can palm and you won't have to spend a ton for a drag system that rarely gets used.