Sign in to follow this  
IMPY03

Rod and reel setup...need some suggestions

Ok well I'm about to purchase a new rod and reel setup and I want something that will be good for spinnerbaits, buzz baits, froggin and cranking. The reel will need to be able to handle 30 plus pound braided line also.

I went on basspro.com and was looking at the new Shimano Citica and a Quantum Energy PT Trigger Rod in 7' MH. Would this be a good setup? Would it be able to handle smallers size swimbaits as well? or should I go with the 7' H?

I don't know about the Quantum rod.  But I have a rod that fills the bill - the All Star American Classic AC SBR2 "spinnerbait" rod.  It's a 6'8" rod.  It's a medium-heavy power, fast action rod.  I like it because the tip is a little softer than a worm rod.  It's rated for 10-20 lb line (it will handle 30# braid no problem) and 3/8-1 oz baits.  

It handles spinner baits well - that's what it's made for.  It will handle cranks with bigger trebles, and wake baits like the Strike King King Shad.  I've used it very successfully with Bass Magic swimbaits, jigs, tubes, frogs (though the tip is a little soft for frogs it will handle smaller frogs like the Net Bait frog well).  It's the perfect "all-around" rod, if there is such a think.  I have two of them and they are always on my boat with me.  

I don't know of BPS still carries them, but that's where I got one of mine.  

my dream set up would be a curado and a custom made 7 ft spiral wrapped rod... actually would be about the same price or a bit cheaper than an IMX and bout be about amazing!

BUT if I had to keep it cheap.. I would go with a Citica and a Falcon Lowrider... then your looking at abotu $240 for everything :)

AL