Sign in to follow this  
The Rooster

Rick Clunn baitcast reel

Rick Clunn might be the greatest angler in the world but his reel SUCKS!!! >:)

I ordered the Rick Clunn baitcaster from Bass Pro Shops and it came in today.  Right out of the box I was actually pretty pleased with it.  Before I had ordered it I was worried about that handle being an issue for me partly because of the way it attaches to the drive shaft on the reel.  It just threads on instead of being secured with a nut like some other reels, including the BPS Extreme I also have.  

I knew eventually I'd have to take it apart and clean and relube it and rather than wait until I had to I decided to see how the handle comes off.  I know from experience with other reels that it just simply turns backwards to come off.  The instructions say to tighten down the drag as much as possible before removing it.  So I did that and then I removed the handle to see how it all works.  

And after I did that and was ready to put it back on again I found out that it's a cumbersome thing to try to do.  First of all, you have to pull in on the drag star towards the reel's body, as per the instructions that come with it, and while doing that you have to thread the handle on.  Well there's not physically enough room to hold the drag star with your fingers while turning the handle to thread it on.  

Then it can NEVER be threaded as tightly as the factory had it so any little bump of the handle backwards causes it to loosen up again and be ready to unthread itself right back off the reel.  You physically cannot hold the spool tightly enough to be able to crank the handle on so it stays.  I managed to get it on there fairly tight but in doing so the drag star was so tight that the drag wouldn't slip at all and that was due to the way the handle and drag star engage each other.  They're designed to touch with a washer between them that slips so the drag star can turn without affecting the handle but I was unable to tighten the handle enough to stay on and not have the drag star incredibly too tight.  When I loosen the drag up some then the handle was loose again also.  It's just a very badly designed handle.  

So in my opinion the handle design is permanently FLAWED.  I'll never buy another reel ever made this way again.  I KNEW BETTER when I was looking at it in the catalog but decided to take a chance thinking that maybe I was being too picky.  I've seen those handles before on Pinnacle reels when I worked at Wal-Mart and they also were known for stripping the threads and not being usable at all.  I was worried about that too, and I might add that I've already seen some metal shavings on the reel from having the crank on and off a couple times trying to reassemble it again.

This reel is getting returned to BPS as fast as I'm able to pack it back up again and I'll order something different.  Maybe another Extreme like the one I have now, or I might just bite the bullet and get a Citica or something.  All I know is I've never had problems from reels that have the hex nut holding the handle on and I've disassembled them dozens of times and put them back together again.  What a joke this handle design is on the Rick Clunn reel.   >;) >;) >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I might just bite the bullet and get a Citica

Now THERE is a good idea if I've ever head one!!!

I can't wait to get a new Citica 200E.  The 200D's are sweet, but a bit too bulky for jig/soft plastic fishing.

OK, since I posted this I discovered that there was a very small spacer that had fallen out of the handle onto the floor. Once I found that and put it back where it belonged, that fixed the drag problems. It's just enough space to let the drag star loosen up without affecting the handle's tightness.

But everything else I said still stands. The handle cannot be tightened down enough on my reel to guarantee it stays on with an accidental bump backwards. It loosens up immediately when it's bumped in reverse. That and the stripped thread potential is enough to make me want to return it BEFORE something bad happens...........like say I'm out there fishing and I hit the handle backwards, it falls off into the water and is gone. That would be a disaster.

And I really just don't like how it feels like I have to "manhandle" the reel to put it together again. I've always looked at a breakdown to relube as a delicate procedure that needed to be done with precision. To put the crank handle back onto the Rick Clunn reel I have to squeeze it tightly and torque it to death to get it on enough to stay. I don't like that at all. Feels like I'm going to bend the paddle grips before it gets tight enough.  It would be so much simpler if they had used the nut to secure it with.

Sorry for so much ranting and raving on my part. I am just disappointed from ordering this last Thursday and looking forward to it coming in for over a week now and within 10 minutes of getting it I'm disappointed with the purchase. That just sucks. But I learned a lesson in it. Now it's just gonna cost me shipping to return it again, and shipping again after that to get something different. If I get a Citica though, I'll just go to the local tackle shops to see them. I only ordered from Bass Pro cause it was a Bass Pro branded reel I wanted.

I also have a Rick Clunn and the same happened with me. The only difference is that I actually lost the little space, so I have to order another. The handle can say on for me, but I have to be careful not to go  crank in reverse. It easily re-tightens, but it is a hassle.

it is the exact same handle design as the:

• pflueger patriarch
  • pflueger summit
  • pflueger president
  • pflueger supreme
  • bass pro shops johnny morris elite
  • bass pro shops johnny morris signature
  • bass pro shops prolite finesse

Wow it sounds like this could be an issue.  So i took my handle off of my Johnny Morris Sig and my Pflueger Supreme tonight and they both came off and went back on extremely easy.

Maybe it is just the Rick Clunn?  I had 2 of these reels and returned them both.

Later, :)

I have a Pflueger's. a BPS or two, 2 Rick Clunn's. I don't find the crank removal and reinstall much of a problem. In a way some what handy since you don't need tools. I do have other reels and I wouldn't let the crank removal keep me from buying another of these reels.

Well I decided to give it a whirl anyway to see if I would possibly be happy with it so I bought some fluorocarbon and spooled it up today. I casted with it for about 20 minutes or so and just decided I didn't care for it so I wound the fluoro off of it onto my other BPS Extreme reel and am now going to just send the Rick Clunn reel back. It's a decent reel, but besides the handle issue it also feels a bit bulkier in my hand than the Extreme does. Not to mention that the removable side plate moves up and down some. It's not a lot but once I thought I had a strike so I "set the hook" and hauled water, but when I did that I felt the sideplate move and made a clicking noise. It was locked on good too, so that wasn't it. It just wiggles and I don't like that at all. My Extreme does not do this, it's very solid.

I really like the Extreme a lot so I'm just going to get another one of those for now and go with that series of reels for my arsenal that I'm starting up. Hopefully by spring time I can manage a small fleet of these things so I'll be ready for anything in a second's time. Crankbait tied on, spinnerbait tied on, buzzbait, T-rig, jig.........the list goes on and on and I want to have a rod/reel for each one. :)