Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Shimano Calcutta 50/51 Question

I have the Calcutta 51 for 3 years now.  I use it every so often but have been wondering what the reel is intended for.

I've used it for crankbaits & worm/jigs, but found the speed & 16" of line taken in a bit slow & short for this job.

I've just started using it for drop shotting w/ 8 lb P-line spooled.

I bought this reel cuz it was small & thought it would be a nice addition to my other Shimano's.  But it has an identity problem that I'm just not sure what it's intended for.  I've heard before buying the Calcutta 51 a year before that guys were using this reel for flipping & pitching.  They would spool heavy line, since they don't need alot of line for this technique & it's small & powerful.  But I don't flip or pitch that often, so the identity crises for the Calcutta 51.

For those that own this reel, how are you mostly using it???

I've owned my Cal 50 since Shimano introduced them and use it for a variety of applications. My two most favorite are lightly weighted or weightless plastics and slow rolling spinner baits.

Now don't I feel stupid, I thought the tiny one was just a keychain trinket......

joking of course, the Calcuttas are one of the few Shimano's I don't mind (of the ones that can be used in freshwater)  Not a big fan of the back play but I use my 251 on my short stinger rod (trolling) in saltwater mostly so no big deal