Sign in to follow this  
BassBandit35

Action rod best used for jig on offshore ledge?

It all depends on the depth of the water and the size of the jig.  I fish lots of ledges which are "off shore".  I use M MH and H depending on the depth of the ledge and the size of the bait.  Sometimes I fish 50' deep with a M and a 1/4 oz depending on what I am doing.

I don't even own an extra heavy rod.

I think MH or H is fine, I would be more concerned with length, I would want a 7'6 or bigger. Depending on the rod manufacturer I would stay away from EH, a little over-kill imo.

Fishing that shallow I would only use 1/4-3/8 oz jigs unless it were windy so I'd use no more than a MH.

I prefer MH but don't fish over 1/2oz jigs very often. I like the extra flex of the tip a lot of guys don't its personal preference really, those heavier rods can be tough to finesse the jig- if you move the tip with a H power rod the whole jig moves rather than twitching it in place. With a MH you can twitch and also feel the fish before you jerk or move the whole bait away from finicky bass. MH has plenty of power when its time to put the meat to them- hookset no problem. The only time I like a straight up H power rod is for my heavy C-Rig outfit.