Sign in to follow this  
utahbasser

which okuma swimbait rod??

so i'm getting one of the okuma swimbait rods but don't know what length and action to get... i was thinking either the 7'6" or 7'10" or 7'11".

what size do you prefer and why??

the swimbaits i will be throwing will be:

6" daiwa dead or alive

7" slammer

6" 8" 10" lunker punkers

6" hudd

triple trout

BBZ shad

Mattlures ultimate bluegill

1-2 oz soft swimbaits

and maybe a BBZ-1 trout at the biggest

......and any other swimbaits you recommend

my question is what action should i get? i usually buy my rods from retail stores but since nobody around here carries them, i have to get it online. i usually like a pretty soft tip and don't like rods that are too stiff. so i'm debating between a H or a MH. i think the MH is better for my style of fishing and the baits i'll be using, but any input will help..

thanks a lot guys. i've learned a ton from this site!!

id suggest the 7ft6 heavy fast ... imo this is the most versitile rod ,, and will cover every bait you have listed ... also if you plan on using big twitching baits like the dead or alive ,, or the tripple trout /// i think the shorter 7ft6 would be an easier rod to use ... this is just my opnion .... i also have the 7ft6 heavy okuma and i love it for the swimbaiting i do ...

Go with the 7'6" Heavy.  For all of these baits you listed, minus the 10"punker, it's a pretty sweet rod and will handle the baits well.  I own the 7'6" Heavy paired with a cardiff 400 and throw half of the baits you listed on this rod. I love it.

Go with the 7'6" Heavy. For all of these baits you listed, minus the 10"punker, it's a pretty sweet rod and will handle the baits well. I own the 7'6" Heavy paired with a cardiff 400 and throw half of the baits you listed on this rod. I love it.

i had the same set up but i had the cardiff 301 ... i just picked up a calcutta 251 basicly the same line cap as the cardif 301 ... the calcutta is sweet i cant wait to stick a hogg with the upgraded combo ...  ;D

is the heavy pretty stiff?? i was thinkin about getting the 7'6" MH because i like a rod that isn't too stiff. let me know. thanks a lot guys. maybe i'll just get the heavy

the rod is pritty stiff ... or yes its a beef stick ... but remember if you want to fish some of the bigger baits you listed ,, you gonna need that xtra power for setting hooks ... the rod doesnt seem that heavy when you have a bait tied on tho ... even when i fish a mattlure babybass this rod seems perfect ,, keep in mind the baby bass is around 2oz ... so some of the bigger baits you listed may exceed this weight ... just a thought ... at the end of the day you have to fish the rod you buy ... so dont run out and get a rod we tell you to get ... go to a store that the sells the rods you are looking at ... slap the reel you want to use on there and get a feel for the stick ... pick what works for you ... the med-hev may be the stick you want ... all im saying here is the heavy is fine for the fishing im doing ,, and i like mine ... good luck out on the water ... dont rush ,, take your time and think about what you need this stick to do ... then you will have the answer you need ... im sure the okuma will suit you fine ,, so think about if you want the med-hev or the hev ....  :)

perfect example. thanks a lot man. i am either getting the 7'6" MH or the 7'11" MH. it will be the perfect one.

i wish a store around here sold them or i would just go buy one there and feel for it, but nowhere does so i have to order it online. thats the reason i was asking.

thanks again guys

I would encourage you to stay away from the MH for the baits you listed. It will not do it. I have the 7'11" MH and I use it for my small stuff. These SB rods all have fast action you will be happier with a heavier rod to throw the baits you mentioned.

I use the 7.6 MH for anything less than 3 oz ( with Cardiff 301 ), I don't feel that the road outload heavier weight well. Now when you move to the 7.11 the difference on size handle is huge. After trying for a while I moved to Powell for the EH weight.