Sign in to follow this  
BassinBoy

Quantum Energy PT?

I got a Quatum Energy PT M 7'0" fast action rod in June.  I originally bought it for cranking but i relized that a moderate action would be better.  I was curious what your thoughts are on how it may preform for cranking.  It is too late to return and my parents wont let me get another rod for a while so can you guys give me some positive feedback about using this rod for cranking?  Thanks everyone

In reading other threads and posts over the last few months, it sounds to me that if you do not get over aggressive when setting the hook while cranking, you should be okay with that rod until you can expand your arsenal.  Some feel that your apt to rip the crank out of a good hookset by being to forceful.  Hope this helps a bit until someone can be more in depth.

Since its a Medium power, it probably has a bit a flex in it (compared to a MHF). I actually prefer faster action rods in most situations since I need general purpose rods. I don't have enough time to specialize in various techniques...

IMHO - It's easier to lighten up your hookset with a fast action rod, than to speed up your hookset with a slower action rod.

Have fun!

I'm using a Med power, fast action rod for crankin right now (until Christmas when I get my new crankin rod) and I just back off on the drag a little and dont give a "home run" type hookset, just a light sweep, and its been working pretty good for me and I think I might keep using my fast action rod for rippin lipless cranks. :)