Sign in to follow this  
rboat

swimbait rod

I throw mostly medium size swimbaits and was wondering what rod you might think is best? I want to pair it with a shimano cardiff 300. I am stuck between a G loomis 904 (bait size 1-3oz) or an Okuma med heavy (bait size 1/2 - 5oz) or anything else? Thanks.

What's the weight of the baits your going to throw?

I Would recommend the Loomis 955 or the Okuma Heavy.  The loomis is perfect for baits around 3 oz like the wake jr. but will also throw an 8in hudd no problem.  The Okuma 7'6" is a pretty sweet rod and i'm able to throw 6" hudd's and 7" triple trouts easily.  Either one paired with a cardiff 300 would be a sweet setup.  I guess it just comes down to your budget.  Good Luck

I an Okuma med heavy (bait size 1/2 - 5oz) or anything else? Thanks.

I can't say much about the Loomis, it is probably a good choice.

I have the Okuma 7.6 MH with the same rating, great rod for up to 3 oz, the tip in my opinion is too soft for bigger lures. It has been performing great for the 2+ year I have it. I did brake it once ( my fault ) and I have a new one on my door ( no quetions asked ) withing a week for $ 14.99.

I have it paired with a tuned Cardiff 201.

I have to agree with Branuss about loomis 955.

What are you throwing them on now?

I would get the 7'11" MH or H Okuma. The Loomis is a bit nicer if you have the money but you wont really catch any more bass because of it.

i just got a Dobyns 795 MLSB Mike Long SwimBait rod and i think its awesome very lightweight and sensitive.I got it from Deloscustomtackleshack they have them on sale now for 139.95

with a one year warranty are you can get the lifetime warranty for regular price.

i just got a Dobyns 795 MLSB Mike Long SwimBait rod and i think its awesome very lightweight and sensitive.I got it from Deloscustomtackleshack they have them on sale now for 139.95

with a one year warranty are you can get the lifetime warranty for regular price.

What Stan said,  I have 3 of the 795ML's and they are extremely versatile.  Delo's has a grunt load of them in stock.

Mike