Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Abu Garcia Revo Winch For Pike & Musky???

Trying to find a good low profile reeel in left hand for light pike & musky fishing.  I've inquired about the Shimano Chronarch BPV & Curado DPV, which have lower gear ratios & come in left hand.

The Revo Winch has 24 lbs of drag, that should be sufficient for pike & musky fishing?   I am looking to spool w/ 50 lb braid, so a low profile reel w/ more line capacity.  I don't think none of the Daiwa low profile b/c reels would work, since the drag on most of them is 8.8 lbs, & there is no low gear ratio.  The Shimano's I've mentioned have a drag power of 12 lbs.  

I already have a big round reel & an 8' musky rod for the realy heavy stuff, just wanting something lighter.

Personally, I think that a Winch is a good alternative to rounds reels and with 50# braid I think your ready to rock. JMO

I'd go with the Toro.  I think the Winch would work, but the Toro is simply beefier and it would stand up better to long-term heavy work.   I don't know how much lighter the Toro would be than what you have, but the size is very similar to the Curado 300.

I see on another forum you've ruled out the Toro due to weight.  In that case, I think the Winch is you next best bet.  It's a robust reel and the drag puts the reel in a class by itself.  

It is definately a reel for heavier baits.  It won't cast 3/8 oz lure for poo, but it will cast a 1 oz bait a great distance.  I'm sure it will handle even heavier baits just as well.

The Revo Inshore would be another possibility.  Slightly higher gear ratio, but you could add a power handle which should make burning bucktails etc. pretty smooth.  Has the same 24 lbs of drag as the Winch.

I have a Revo Winch and honestly don't think it would hold up to casting the heavy weight lures for Muskies and even with the drag at a 24 lb rating I would have to wonder if something that small would hold up for long.  I have tired a lot of reels for Muskies and Stripers and always have come back to Abu Garcia 5500's and 6500's.  You just can't kill them.  I still have a very old 6000C that I still use to this day for Muskies and trolling for Stripers.