Sign in to follow this  
jack1

Color line

I've always used green color fishing line, because the waters I usually fish are not all that clear.  I've wanted to try out some of the yellow high vis powerpro braided line, but just couldn't bring myself to try it out.

I do a lot of flippin/pitching and that high vis would be easy on the eyes when I got to keep an eye on line movements.  Powerpro color tends to fade and I know eventually that yellow is going to turn somewhat white.

Those who have used this color, do you see it affecting your catch ratio?  Comments?

I use the Stren Super Braid in the gold color for its visibility with no perceived affect on my catch ratio. I have some that I have been using over 4 years and it still has its color.

I think that in a flippin/pitchin situation, most of the time there is moderate to heavy cover, so the fish will see the lure before the line.  I haven't used hi vis yellow but that is just my theory.  If you think it'll affect it, you could use red which would look like blood from the bait plus u'll see the line.

During certain times of the year the water in Toledo Bend will be different colors while still remaining clear making particular colored lines harder to see, I remedy this by using different color lines. I buy Berkeley Big Game in green, amber, and electric blue using the one that is easier to see and I have never noticed any increase or drop off in catch ratio. I'll do the same thing with braided lines sometimes having to change brands to find the proper colors.

I do this regardless of technique :)