Sign in to follow this  
gabes

Carrot Stix Gold

Anyone tried one of these?  They are 50 bucks more than the Orange colored Carrot Stix and I was wondering if the extra $ is worth it.

I recieved one for Christmas but have not got to use it yet due to hardwater.  I told my dad I would like a swimbait rod and suggested the Okuma, but he brought back a Carrot Stix Gold.  Its amazing how light this thing feels for a near 8ft. rod.  My only problem is I cant find the weight inserts for the but cap.  As soon as I can throw it I will and let  you know.

They are a whole lot different from the regular. One of the main reasons I wanted a Carrot Stix was for the foam which the gold doesn't have. It also doesn't have a grip behind the reel seat. I've never held one but the regular sure is comfortable.

The little warranty card that came w/ my Carrot Stix said to use Mojo (cylnder) weights, or something similar to this:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_30023_100010003_100000000_100010000_100-10-3?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail

To put on the butt end cap.  I don't know how you would attach the weight to the cap, probably some type of glue or putty.  I would think you could use bullet weights also.

I thought of adding a weight to one of my Carrot Stix, see if it makes it balance better w/ which ever reel I use; but the more I think about it, it would take away for one of the reasons I bought the Carrot Stix...the light weight of the rod.  So I decided not to use a weight & it feels balanced w/ whatever reel I use.  I guess the longer Carrot Stix, ones over 7'6" lengths would feel tip heavy.  I guess using a weight on the butt end would balance out, but most rods over 7'6" feels tip heavy anyway.

if you put cotton balls or the foam ear plugs in with the weights they wont move around. you can also put them in before or after the weights and it will change the feel to a certain degree and the butt cap stays put better. love the carrots!

I have not tried the Gold, but fish two of the regular Carrot Stix.  I've had one of them since they were introduced.  I can't justify the extra money because I am happy with the weight and balance that I get with the standard.

The biggest issue I have with my Carrot Stix is the sensitivity.  I put them down and pick up another rod and I miss a fish or two before I figure out that my hands have been spoiled with the Carrot Stix.