Sign in to follow this  
U.W BronzeBack Hunter

How do you use the Quantum Flippin Switch?

i just got my quantum accurist PT, and i am dumbfounded on how to use the flippin switch.  I tried to "flip" the switch (haha), but it just won't budge.  I'm afraid i'll break it (but i doubt it will), so i want some raw experience backing me up.

Also, the stupid owner's manual has ZERO on the flippin switch.  What in god's name does it do?

Simply put, with the switch on, you don't have to turn the handle to engage the spool. Soon as you let up on the thumb bar the spool is enaged.

The flippin switch is one reason I buy the Accurists. I use it all the time. Once you get the hang of it (if you flip and pitch alot like I do) you'll like it. If your going to use the reel for casting, you may never use it.

bassnleo hit the nail on the head! With the flippin switch engaged, when the thumb bar is released, the spool will be engaged. There is alot of tension on the flippin switch which does mean you have to use a firm push of the switch to activate the feature. I've opened my older Accurists for cleaning and have had to hunt down the spring on a couple of occassions! I'm alot more careful opening them up now!  :)

I pitch far more than I flip and use my Accurists all the time! Whether I'm pitching a tube, jig or even a spinnerbait, I aboslutely LOVE the feature!

For normal casting purposes, you'll never need to use it. If you do and your thumb slips off the thumb bar, you'll be grinding the gears and need to replace parts!!!

I was sad to see the Accurist removed from the line up for this feature! They have included the flippin switch feature on the Code so there's still a solution if you like it!

I have a Quantum reel with the flipping switch on it (model # ? ).

The switch is very hard to turn on and off.

I thought I would break something too, but all is fine.

I know the switch works, I just don,t use it.

Brute

Thx you guys!

I don't flip or pitch a lot, but when i do, i'll know how to properly utilize the switch now :)

Yah, i just needed to put in a bit more muscle for the switch to go down.  i just didn't want to break it.  I don't think i'll use it much (also, it's another toy that COULD break upon frequent use), but when i do, i guess it'll be helpful.

So overall, i really like my purchase.  I was also sad to see them off the Quantum line up.  But hey... makes our reels the more special and unique  ;D  8-)

I had a problem with my switch not wanting to budge either.  So I took it apart cleaned and lubed and now the switch moves back and forth with ease!

I guess I will be bringing this one back from the dead, but it falls into an area I have questions about.

It's -20f with wind chills of -50f out so, I have been reading the catalogs and figuring out what I want to buy for soft-water fishing. I'm going to buy a new bait-caster, and am trying to figure out whether to buy one with a flippin switch, or not. I have a regular flippin stick and use and old Ambassador 5500 C on it.

The new one would be used mostly be for casting on a medium/heavy 7 foot rod. The flippin switch seems like it would be a handy feature to have.

I fish for fun, not for cash or glory, so production is not a factor. I am an old coot, so I do have a touch of "Old Timers disease" and get "Brain Farts" on occasion.

The question is will I rip the guts outs if I forget to take it out of the flippin switch, and try to cast it? :) FYI I'm looking at the "Code" by Quantum.

I have several Accurists and a Profile that have the flippin switch. There has been a time or two that I've forgot to reset the switch for casting. As long as you keep the thumb bar down, no worries. But if you accidentally let up on the thumb bar, the reel will let you know! I have not had any issues with broken gears in my reels. But I'm sure if you'd launch a lure out there and let go of the thumb bar over and over again, you're going to break something! Just be careful and think about what you're doingt and you'll be fine!  :)

Well, that does make me feel better. I have made both my longest casts and shortest casts when I forgot to flip the bail on my spinning reel. :-[ Usually the wife say "Wow! You really cast that one out there." :-/ "Yup but I ain't gonna bet it back" I retort. >:)