Sign in to follow this  
Big Tom

Thoughts/Experiences appreciated: Powell 704C

This is their 7' Heavy stick. There are a few things that I really love about this.

First, its a heavy model that can still handle 1/4 ounce baits. I would be using this stick for texas rigs and for jig fishing as well. After seeing a lot of fish being broke off in tree tops due to my underpowered rods I though it was time to do a little upgrading before March.

Secondly, its got a super handsome price tag. 139.99

Its also made with some quality components (like Fuji Alconite guides).

The guys at Tackle Tour really seemed to love the 6' 8" Med. Hvy. model which weighed in at just over 3.5 oz. So I guess I would expect the 7 ft. Heavy to be pretty light weight as well. Would definitely be an improvement over my cumbersome BPS Extreme 7' MH rod.

Does anyone here have one of these sticks and what do you think about them? Are they sensitive, durable, etc.?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Edit: Accidentally typed wrong model number in Subject.  Fixed now.

Dont have that model rod but I got a 704CB rod which is their crankbait rod for Christmas, and while fishing the weekend before last, I hooked up with a 2 1/2lber and when I got him to the boat I reached down to grab him and the rod snapped right behind the 5th guide from the top. >:( Sent it back to them the other day, havent heard anything back yet. It was a great feeling rod before that, and Ive heard from alot of people that have Powells and they love em, and I was the first they had heard of one breaking, so maybe I just got a lemon :-/ or maybe I landed the fish wrong and put to much pressure on the rod :-[

i don't have the 704C either but i do have the 703C as well as their excellent 754CB. the first thing you'll notice about the powells is that, like the dobyns rods, they feel faster than other rods from other brands with the same rating. when i first received my 703, i thought it was a 704  ;D anyway, i love my powells...very light and smooth. i don't know about durability though as i haven't had mine that long. i fished my 703 back-to-back with a dobyns 703 and the dobyns seemed more sensitive to me.

I've got the 704C paired with a Curado 200DHSV spooled with 50lb Sufix Braid for my frog and buzzbait rod.  Been a solid rod, handling several nice fish up to 5 lb or so.  Plenty of power for pulling fish out of slop and steering them away from snags.  Very light too, which is great when paired with the older Curado (at about 10oz).  I've made hundreds of casts with it in an afternoon with no problems.  All around, a great rod.  I've also got the 683C, but haven't been able to use it as much and haven't pulled in any fish with it yet.  I really like the split grip with no foregrip and the hook keeper, and Fuji components.  You won't be disappointed.

I appreciate the responses.  I have one Powell on the way.  I technically don't need it until mid to late March but it seems buying new stuff is almost as fun as catching fish.  

Thanks.