Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Anyone have a Daiwa Luna 300?

I played with this reel a couple of days ago and it's really nice.   I'm thinking it would be a good reel on a 8' medium heavy/medium fast musky rod for throwing B I G treble baits for landlocked stripers.  

Anyone have a Luna?  Thoughts?

I have a Daiwa Luna 300, which I use for musky. It's a great reel with a very good reputation for durability. I use it with 80lb stren superbraid. Out of many musky size reels that I own, the Shimano 400TE is my favorite, but the Luna is a close second. If you are looking for a budget reel, the Pete Mania reel sold at Bass Pro is far less expensive, but I have several that have held up surprisingly well given their price point. I suggest going to The Musky Hunter website and doing a search or on Muskies First. You'll find all the opinions and advice of the diehards who put these reels through torture throwing huge bucktails and lures up to a pound, which stress equipment tremendously. Another great reel to consider is the Shimano Curado 300 size. HEG gearing, low profile and I have 2 of those which I use for small to medium musky baits. But they have impressed me with their durability for the two years I used them. I use 65lb braid with the Curado.

I have had three Luna 300s for about a year and a half. I absolutely love all of them. I throw swimbaits with them. They are workhorses and can handle big baits with ease. I've also used them to fish for stripers in the cal delta and have had no problems.

Thanks for the replies!

How easy is it to adjust the brake on the 300?

Bryant turned me onto the Lunas instead of a Calcutta 400B, and I love it. Zero complaints. well one.... when it's cold outside the reel is painful to hold.