Sign in to follow this  
von

Reel Cleaning Help

I've tried SuperLube, Abu grease, Hot Sauce to grease the gears and after I put the reel back together, it doesn't feel smooth. As I'm turning the handle, I can still feel and hear the gear teeth mesh.  I've checked to make sure the teeth aren't broken and everything.  I've tried putting a lot of grease on the gear and tried using a very light coat of grease and it still feels the same. What am I doing wrong??

What reel? Some seem to come with way too much grease to mask that feeling. Otherwise, something isn't put together correctly.  If all else fails, send it out to a pro.

citica 200D and accurist PT.  

I'm sure everything is put back correctly with schematic in hand.  I've used them as is and no problems to report.  It's just the gears meshing the bugs me.

You might ask over in the Shimano support forum about the Citica, but it might be a day or two.  Personally, I would just use the Shimano grease on the Shimano reel.  The Accurist comes as no surprise to me, though I still wonder about a misplace spacer or something causing the main gear and the pinion to run "tight."

i had a similar problem with my president 6725. everytime i open it , i have to keep it level or the gearing wont sit right. that may be the problem with yours as well? maybe the spacer too.

That's a spinning reel, a whole different deal. If I'm not mistaken, both sides of the main gear and pinion gear are supported by ball bearings on the President, so you'll want to be sure the main gear is seated in the bottom bearing perfectly along with having the gear teeth properly engaged with the pinion and oscillation gear. Be careful not to force it back and forth, or you'll possibly damage the bearing races, or more likely prematurely wear out or crack the bearing seat in the body. It shouldn't take any force to reassemble.