Sign in to follow this  
rippin_lips

Abu Garcia Soron STX

There isn't much talk about Abu spinning reels on here and I was hoping someone who fishes them could provide some insight.  I have been reading reviews of the Soron Stx spinning reel and it seems to be very well built.  Does anyone use this reel and if so, what are your thoughts on it?  It seems like a great value for $130 minus a 20 dollar mail in rebate.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Waiting for a review as well... in the meantime I'm sticking with my Daiwa's. Hard to beat the Tierra for about the same money IMO...

The Soron replaced the Cardinal 800, which had only been out about a year or two.  The Soron is essentially the same as the 800 series, but with a couple more bearings, a different color and a gimmicky braid spool.  

The braid spool aside, the 800 series was/is bullet proof.  I have 4 of these reels, one 804 and three 802s.  The reels are all aluminum.  The body, sideplate, rotor, and bail arms are all aluminum.  The main shaft is stainless steel, oversized, and very rigid.  The spool sits on two stacked bearings and is well supported.  There is no flex or spool wobble.  The gears are hardened.  The reel is very smooth.  Not glass smooth like some Daiwas, but smooth nonetheless.  You have good feel through the reel.  The drag is very well sealed againt water intrusion by a rubber gasket on the drag knob, and another by the bearings under the spool.  The finish is rock hard.  I've had mine for over a year and a couple have gotten some rough treatment and the finish is no worse for the wear.  In fact, they still look new.  My brother-in-law has some of the 806 and 807 series for saltwater striper fishing.  They have seen some abusive use and they are functioning perfectly - still.  

The Soron's braid spool looks silly, IMO.  I can't imagine that the rubber bands on the spool are going to last.  It's easier to just tie on some backing before putting on braid.  I'd buy a Soron for the reel, but not for the braid spool.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the Soron, because my 800s have performed so well.  

Thanx Micro, I might pick one up for schoolie stripers in the bay. The braid spool doesn't interest me in the least. I use friction tape as backing. One wrap of tape for braid is all I need.

I have a Cardinal 802 and love it. It is built tough and has a smooth drag system. I had a Pflueger Supreme 8035 and hated it. I went back to my Daiwa Emblem Z 2000 for a while until I got my 802. The STX replaced the 802. The only difference in the two reels is the extra bearings and that super line spool. You might want to try e bay for a 802. I got mine new in a box with all the papers spare spool and reel bag for $62.00. If not I think you will like the STX. 8-)