Sign in to follow this  
South FLA

Swimbait Rod So Many Choices

Help me decide on swimbait rod.

I will not be casting ridiculously large lures so I don't need a heavy broom stick, but I don't want to use my flipping stick as a double duty rod.

Swimbaits I'll use:

Matt Lures' Hard and Soft Bluegill (3/4 oz to 2 ozs)

Sebile's Magic Swimmer 165 (1.5oz)

Strike King's  King Shad (.9oz)

Secondly, I would like a lightweight swimbait bait rod, if there is such a thing that will balance well with a Calcutta 200 GTB (10ozs) spooled with 17-20lb. test, most likely Suffix Elite or Trilene 100% Flouro.

Here are the rods I am considering:

Loomis Big Bait GL2 Casting 964 8' Hvy

G. Loomis Swimbait Rod 904 7'6" Medium

Falcon Cara T7 Cast 7'10" Extra Hvy

Dobyns Champ Swimbait Rods 7'9" Med Hvy

Lamiglass XC767 7'6" Swimbait Special Rod

Shimano Crucial Swimbait Cast Rod 7'11" Md Hvy

Fenwick Elite Swimbait Rod 7'9" Hvy

If anyone has any other recommendations of rods you've tried and liked or line recommendation please advise.  First hand knowledge takes precedence.

Thanks in advance.

I was planning on getting one of the Okuma swimbait rods that guys on here highly recomend, but I recieved a Carrot Stix Gold swimbait rod for Christmas, and it is an absolute pleasure to fish with.  I have not stuck a giant fish with it yet, but so far it fishes the baits you are using perfectly.

Good luck.

why not just get the okuma big bait spc. ??? you can get the 7ft6 med hev fast ... great swimbait sticks ,,, at a great price .... also you wont have to play that double duty ,,, you can just keep a swimbait tied on at all times ....

you should really get you some mattlures baby bass bait ... its a killer here ... i have bigguns just hammer that bait ... and nice thing is you just cast it out and reel it back nice and steady ..  ;)

I have the broomstick 956 and love it. It can chunk the Huddleston's a mile.  I am also going a smaller one too.  I would recommend a GLoomis.

Jerrod

I plan on using swimbaits in the weight range and I got the Cabelas XMLTi rod, 7' mh 3/8-2oz designed for carolina rigging. I figured since I am only throwing small swimbaits, could make it a multipurpose rod with sensitivity being  focus of the rod makers over just pure backbone.

You seem to want a dedicated rod for swimbaits, but I would still consider this rod, very light and good components.

I also use the Loomis 956 and love it. However, from the baits you mentioned, if you can afford it, I'd go with the Loomis 904

I also use the Loomis 956 and love it. However, from the baits you mentioned, if you can afford it, I'd go with the Loomis 904

x2

I just bought a 7' 11" St. Croix Mojo Swimbait rod.  Haven't fished it yet cause there is still 3ft of ice on the lakes.  From my testing so far it'll do a great job.  Otherwise if your spending more money I would get the Lamiglass b/c thats what I've heard is the best rod for swimbaits.