Sign in to follow this  
skunked_again

reel repaint

i just tried to do my first repaint on an old daiwa 1500. everything went ok until i started taking the tape off the frame and side plate and found out that paint still got where i didnt want it. after cleaning the paint out of the places i didnt want the paint the frame looked like crap.

anyone have any tips on repaints?

It's hard to give tips, because every reel is different and you have to tape off different areas for different reels.  It just takes practice I guess.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.  I will say you need an airbrush to get any sort of quality paint job.

Yes, it is tough indeed to give tips. I am speaking from experience of a promising result to utter failure and a crappy result. Check out Tackle Tours site. There are a few posts there that are about painting reels. There is at least one, and I know of this because I started that thread. ;D

www.tackleunderground.com

ive got 3 more old reels to practice on but im not doing anything until i get an airbrush.

I think that is a wise move on your part. I used spray paint the first time around, but it just didn't work out. I too will wait until I get an airbrush. I also learned that it is easiest to take the whole reel apart and paint the parts separately.