Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Bought The Cabelas Prodigy Rods

Was at Cabelas yesterday & they had the new Prodigy rods in.  I had a flyer that had them on sale for $80 ea, so I bought 1 ea of b/c & spinning rods.  Also the flyer had the Shimano Citica Combo w/ the Prodigy rod for $160...that's a great price!  And the Shimano Symetre w/ Prodigy combo for the same price & bought that also.

First impressions on these rods are they are very nice for the price.  The foam grips on them are similar to what's on the Shimano Cumara rods.  The guides seem nice, don't know much about Pacific Bay Hialoy guides, but I would think they are in between the Fuji Hardloy & Alconite guides.  The reel seats on both are very similar to the Shimano Cumara w/ the spinning rod having a graphite area on top of the reel seat, for more sensitivity.

The weight port is cool, but I don't think I'll be using it.  But here's something if you do decide to use the weight port to save some money.  You can get steel washers w/ the same diameter as the post, instead of buying the weight set at $11.00.

You gotta be picky when you get these rods.  Some of the Prodigy rods I looked at, the guiedes weren't all that aligned.  I picked the best & straightest of the lengths & actions I wanted.  Static testing on the sensitivity of the rod seems good, very good sensitivty.  The blank is the same that's on the Magtouch rods, but more subtle coloring than on the Magtouch rods.

The Eva grips are a bit on the "thick" side.  Hard to explain till you mount a reel & feel for yourself.  This is comparing to the Shimano Cumara, which I think has a very good hold on the rod w/ the Eva grips.  The Eva grips are on the firm side, not mushy.  It feels a bit smooth, I hope that I get a good grip when the grips get wet & gets some use.

The hook hanger is weird.  It's an open hook hanger like on Kistler rods, but they have it facing up; not down.  It would be easy to place a hook on the hook hanger, but if you use the rod for drop shotting, or if you want to just snag to the hook it's not possible w/ the hook hanger facing upwards.  The pics on Cabelas website & in the catalog doesn't show this.

I just bought these rods yesterday & wouldn't you know it, we have snow storms till late tomorrow.  So I won't have a chance to try out these rods till during the week.  But so far I am quite happy w/ these purchases.  Especially happy that I got a couple combos at better than retail price!

So there's not arguments, the rods are made in China.  I would put these rods against the new St Croix Mojo rods, since they are about the same price by $10.  Both are great rods at an affordable price & both are great looking.

Also bought a couple of the new Berkley Lightning Rod Shox.  Got the 7'6" ML spinning rod & the 6'6" Medium b/crods.  The specs has line weight for both braid & mono.  The 6'6" M b/c rod seems like it would make a very good topwater/crankbait/jerkbait rod.  It has enough flex for the fish to set the hook themselves w/ mono line.  The 7'6" ML spinning rod would be good to cast lighter lures on mono also.  Using braids w/ these rods is what the intention is, but they seem quite versatile w/ braid & mono.  Sensitivity seems good, I wouldn't use it for jig/worm fishing w/ mono.  But would probably have good sensitivity when using braid.  These rods go for $50-55 ea, that's a very good price on a split grip rod.  If you're looking for an inexpensive crankbait rod w/ split grips & can do other applications w/ either braid or mono, this is one rod to think about.

I need to head back to Cabelas cuz I goofed & picked up 2 6'6" M spinning rods.  One is a firm action & the other is extra firm.  I like the extra firm better for an all around rod & also for dock skipping.

So if you're in the market for new rods & don't want to bust the bank, check out the Prodigy rods.  This rod has alot of goodies that are offered in the more expensive name brand rods for $100.  Check your local Cabelas ad in the next few weeks.  These will go on sale & also the combos I mentioned.

Lastly, the ad will have Rapala lures at 25% off!

Did you find the handles a little thin? That's what I noticed when I held them in the Harrisburg sotre? How do you like them compared to the XML's ?

Handle too thin? You mean handle length, if so I thought the handle length were good.

Or if you mean how it holds w/ a reel on it, well if feels a little bit thick IMO.  But still a good hold on the rod.

Compared to the XML, I like the Prodigy more for the price. I think the XML is a bit heavier than the Prodigy in weight. I like the direct contact of the hand to the rod blank on the Prodigy as compared to on the XML.

Thanks Ghost. I found the grip to be "thin" around for my grip. Someday I would like to try both the Prodigy and XML series. I know this sounds counter to common belief, I like the XML because it is a bit heavier than the Prodigy. It's in my favorite weight/feel range.

Please Post a review after you use the Prodigy for a while

Will do!  I prefer the lighter rod weight of the Prodigy versus the XML.  I do own a couple of the XMLTi in 6'10" MH b/c & 6'9" Drop Shot spinning.  I did get the 7'6" XMLTi musky rod & this thing is quite tip heavy.  I don't know if I'll be keeping this one...bought it for $90.

Yea I saw it on sale, I think Ghoti checked one out also. Thinking Swimbait possibilities.

I was told about the $80 Prodigy deal at the Cabelas in Portage by one of the the associates. I have 3 XML's, 1 XMLTi and a Magtouch and I'm really thinking bout picking up a Prodigy. Now I'm going to have to decide between a B/C or spinning rod.

I like the XML's after having them out on the water last year along with the MagTouch and really like the feel of the Prodigy. It's still frozen water time here so haven't gotten the XMLTi out on the water and its paired with a Quantum Accurist PT and did some back yard practicing and it felt pretty good.

Guess I will have to get a Prodigy and maybe match it with my Prodigy B/C and do a comparison as well

Hey Chicity, got my 6'10" MH XMLTi w/ last years Quantum Energy PT b/c reel out 3 weeks ago & caught over a dozen bass & some really big shads.  Both felt like a match made in fishing heaven.

I'm still trying to find time this week to try out the Prodigy spinning & b/c rods w/ a couple Shimano reels that I got w/ the combo deals from Cabelas.  Snowed like crazy all day today...no trying new rods out....

Hey Chicity, got my 6'10" MH XMLTi w/ last years Quantum Energy PT b/c reel out 3 weeks ago & caught over a dozen bass & some really big shads. Both felt like a match made in fishing heaven.

I'm still trying to find time this week to try out the Prodigy spinning & b/c rods w/ a couple Shimano reels that I got w/ the combo deals from Cabelas. Snowed like crazy all day today...no trying new rods out....

The XMLti and Accurist felt really good together and can't wait to try it out and there part of the chicago river system not too far from my job that's not frozen and might have to try it out with a jig or even a lipless.

I picked up a Shimano Sahara and one of my XML rods on one of the Cabelas in store combo sales myself.

Let me know what u think of the Prodigy and might have to get one myself this weekend