Sign in to follow this  
LAO162

Powell & Zillion Rods

I finally had a chance to handle Powell & Zillion rods this weekend.  I can definitely see the appeal of the Zillion.  Very svelte & fashionable.  On the other hand, the Powell seemed more blue collar, having a stout base and less gloss.  However, it still felt great in my hand.  A little pizazz is great, but I prefer function over form.

When I'm in the market again, I'm thinking these may be alternative options to the Fenwick Techna AV's that I have been enjoying.

For those who have used both Powell & Zillion rods, does the Zillion have any meaningful advantage in performance?

Cheers!  Leon

Unfortunately, I have not used the Zillions.  The Powells are very good rods and a very good buy at their price point.

Zillions are lighter and balance better. I just sold my last Zillion rod because I went to all dobyns rods. They're as stout and strong as the powells, yet as light as the zillions, best of both worlds. Not to mention all the lengths and powers to choose from to fit every need.

Thanks, sounds like they're both winners

I was in a tackle shop last week and they had some zillions on the shelf, so I asked them what they thought.  They said they had had several brought back already due to breakage.  Could be just a weird thing, but that is never a good sign.  I held one next to a cumara and although the zillion looks way sweeter the cumara was lighter and I thought had better action. The zillion felt really really still.  I don't know I think when you get to that price range it is al personal opinion. JMO

No experience with the zillions but Powell rods are fantastic.  I plan on buying a couple more MAX series rods here real soon.

I'm also intrigued by the Cumara, but I did not see any at the show.

I'd also like to try the new Dobyns, but since the company does not have a long track record yet, I'd be a little hesitant to pull the trigger.  I do believe that Gary has the best intentions, though.   At least with Daiwa, I'm comfortable that the firm will be around to meet the lifetime warranty.  I think the Powell Max has been around long enough to prove it is reliable