Sign in to follow this  
djmax22

Glass rod help? Is this normal?

I noticed that when I shake my fiberglass cranking rod the makes sound like a piece of glass has broken loose on the inside and is rattling around inside the blank. I have narrowed down the area and the guides and blanks seems fine. Has anyone had a similar experience? Should I warranty the rod or wait to see if it breaks? Help me out rod builders. :-/

I am not a glass rod fan, due to durability issues, but if you here anything inside rattling around when you shake it. I would exchange it not only for breakage issues but for that fact of making noise and transferring that noise down the line into the water. It was pretty common years ago, that rod builders would insert an inner core inside the fiberglass blank to add support for a Strong hook set or handling large fish.

my lamiglas skeet reese SR765R does that and i too was initially concerned. i had though it would also really bother me while fishing. however, i talked to a lamiglas rep and he said i was welcome to warranty exchange it anytime but it shouldn't be a problem and it hasn't. in fact, i don't even notice the sound anymore. btw, i've read about this a few times before with fiberglass rods on another board.

Yes, my rod is a Lamiglas SR 705R so I guess I will just continue to fish with it and maybe give Lamiglas a call.

dj, i just went to my local tackle shop earlier today and played around with their stock of skeet reese rods (both the SR705R and the SR765R) and, out of the 6 they had, 3 of them had the noise. no biggie, i guess.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I want to add the 765 to the lineup. I love these rods for cranking.

i also have a lamiglas XCF705R, which is the same as the SR705R except for the color of the blank and slightly differently-shaped grip. anyway, i got that one first and LOVE it. i added the SR765R later and i while i "like" it, honestly, i'm also a little disappointed. the SR765R is known as "the long cast special" but i seem to get better distances with my XCF705R...plus, it's not very good at ripping (which is what the "R" is supposed to stand for). i'd heartily recommend you add a powell 765CB instead...it's graphite, not fiberglass but it is so sweet...makes for a great one-two punch with the skeet reese 7-footer.

Thanks, I have had a Powell 754, and it was a great rod, but felt a little tip heavy for me. I have been looking at the powell 765 and the new 806. I will be trying them out in a couple weeks before decide which one to get. The Dobyns 805 is under consideration too.

DjMax, I'm not very experienced with glass rods, but have held many of them, and until recently my excuse to not own one was the added weight.

If you want a sick, incredibly light glass rod, the Dobyns 705Glass rod is ridiculous.

As for Lamiglass, they're pretty good with handling their warranty, I have a bud who sends quite a few rods back to them  :D