Sign in to follow this  
Chris at Tech

Combo for smaller swimbaits...and other stuff

Hey guys,

I think I may have asked this a while back, but I couldn't find it.  I'm looking to possibly put together a combo to throw smaller swimbaits, but also be versatile enough for other applications.

The swimbaits I plan to throw are Sebiles, BBZ Shad, 4.5 - 6.5 inch paddletails up through the Mattlure soft bluegill.

I fish out of a jonboat, so the rod must by 7ft or less, or telescoping.

Anyone have any suggestions?  And what other appliocations would a good small swimbait rod lend itself to?

Chris,

Don't know 'bout the Mattlure, I was throwing the BBZ Shad on an ole BPS Extreme M/H 7' w extreme B/C and it was OK. And I tried it on one of my Powell's paired with a Curado D, that was better but then I put it on a 7' Crucial M/H Spinning paired with a Symetre 2500 spooled w/ power pro 20#. This I like a lot better, & it's a bit more versatile for me.

Just my $.02

Any MH set up should be good. I have a rod that handles up to 1 1/4oz and it handles the 1oz shad very well. I don't know what your willing to spend but I've heard plenty of good things about the avid and they sell a heavy action rated up to 1 1/2. Or you could get the less expensive mojo the 7' MH which is rated up to an oz and that would probably work as well.

Hmmm...I was just looking at the Falcon site and I came across this:

LR Carolina Lizard Dragger II

H power, M action, rated for 3/8 to 1-1/4 oz.

Anyone have any experience with that one?

I hear so many different things about the desired action for a swimbait rig.  But this rod intrigues me...if it's made for C-rigging, it would seem to have solid backbone.  But the moderate action would help by not pulling the hook out of the fish's mouth.

Does anyone have different preferences for power/action of a swimbait rod for a bait w/ single hook (like paddletail, or Mattlures bluegill) vs hardbaits w/ trebles?

I was told for single hook lures you want fast action to set the hook and for trebles a medium to moderate action as to not pull the trebles out.