Sign in to follow this  
TommyBass

Abu Garcia Revo Winch

I am very content with mine.  I haven't found anyone here to really speak ill of them, but it has been suggested that they may be too slow for some current cranking techniques.  Others have also stated that they don't get the distance they would like with the light (less than 3/8oz.) baits.  I guess the reasoning is that the weight of the extra line capacity impedes the distance somewhat.  I tend to use spinning gear for light baits so this is not an issue for me.  Everything that I toss with the winch is 3/8oz.+ so that has not been a problem either.  The centrifugal brakes has been a pros/cons debate, but imo, work famously.

Yes, I plan on only using mine really for plastics anyways so the cranking isnt much of an issue, I would actually prefer that low ratio to help me slow down.  More line dosn't really matter unless you pile it on to where the real dosnt discharge it as designed.  Normaly ill put less on those higher capacity reels anyways.  Thanks for the input!

Not sure it would be a good choice for plastics for a few reasons...

1) you should move the bait with your rod and only use the reel to pick up the slack, so the reel wouldn't really help to slow you down

2) you want a reel you can quickly pick up slack with when you're trying to set the hook.  The less slack between you and the fish, the better your hook set will be.  Here is where a faster retrieve reel will help

With that said, I've only had my Winch out on 1 outing and it did well throwing what I think were 5/16 oz X-rap shads

True that you should probably do most moving with the rod, but what I was thinking is it will slow down the process of picking up the slacking between lure movements.  May also be good for slow rolling a spinnerbait etc.