Sign in to follow this  
bass wrangler569

Cabela's Prodigy Rods

I was looking through my cabelas catalog today and I noticed their new Prodigy Rods. I'm not a big fan of Cabelas rods but these look like pretty sweet rods for the money.  Anybody own one or handle one yet?

here's the link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat603798&rid=&indexId=cat603798&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat603798&id=0064413

Yup got 1 b/c & 1 spinning rods for $80 ea.  Bought 2 more w/ Shimano Citica & Symetre combo's for $160 ea.

The Prodigy rods are real nice & sensitive & light for the price.  If you look at the Shimano Cumara, especially the spinning rod ones; the Prodigy are very similar to those rods.  The spinning rod has a graphite spacer on top of the reel seat for more sensitivity.  The blanks are a bit thinner than the Magtouch rods but are the same 54 million modulus blanks.  The guides are Pac Bay Hialoy which I think are comparable to Fuji Hardaloy guides.  The eva grips are firm, not mushy when gripping.

Cabelas did a great job on these rods & are a great buy at $80 starting end of this week during their Spring Sale.  The Citica combo for $160  is on that same sales flyer & the Symetre combo, look online on their combos for the $160 price.

I used the 6'6" Medium spinning last week & it is light, responsive & great senstivity.

I'm going to be looking at them today.  They do look good for the price.

I checked them out.  Nice rod for the $100 price.  I may get the PDS702-1 (7' Light Spinning) and pair it with a Tourney ZX 1500A for a crappie rod.  I'm going to compare it to a Shimano Compre before I buy though.  No doubt, these are very comfy rods in the hand and worthy of consideration for anyone within the $100 area.

I've handled them several times while in cabelas, and they feel nicely constructed, albeit the blank feels a little heavy.  Granted I'm spoiled with only rods $200+, so that may sway my opinion.  

They are probably in the same weight range as a Shimano Compre, which to me feels just a bit heavier than a Crucial.  Definitely not as light as rods in the $200 class.  I had been handling a comparable Avid just before I picked up that Prodigy and the weight difference was obvious.

Still, not that big of a deal for the price.

I called Cabela's yesterday.  They told me that the 6'2" MF and 6'6" MHF both weighed 4.8 oz.  Does that sound about right?  I was hoping they would weigh less.  Thanks