Sign in to follow this  
LAO162

AllStar TAS vs Platinum vs others...

I'm looking to try a 6' casting rod.  How much difference is there between the different levels of AllStar rods?  I only have access to the "Dick's" versions for $59.  Comparisons to common brands discussed on the forum would be helpful to understand, i.e BPS Extreme, Shimano Crucial etc.

Thanks!!  :)

The Platinums are All Stars top of the line. They were originally the Titanium series that came out in around 99-2000 but they've since gone back to Fuji guides instead of the Titanium ones to lower the costs. Very light weight blank similar to most of the other high end rods that are very sensitive. The best part is those rods can really take a licking and keep on ticking.

The Team All Star rods are the next step down. Sensitive, tough blanks that are a great rod, especially since they've dropped the price on them. They also have a new line of TAS crankbait rods now.

As for comparisons?

You'd have to move into the Johnny Morris line to match the Platinum series for weight and sensitivity. Those are also much more expensive rods. The extreme rods don't even come close to matching either the weight or sensitivity of the TAS line. With the new All Star price drop on both lines,  I wouldn't even consider a BPS rod if you were.

Thanks Cart7t, I hoped you would chime in.

With some of Japanese offerings going up in price, and rods like AllStar and Powell moving down, I think the relative values in the $80 to $150 have shifted. For instance, the Crucial at $129 seemed like a better value that the Platinum at $149. With the flipflop in pricing, the AllStars are a lot more attractive. :)

At $80 I can sneak a TAS into the family budget :), but to consider options in the $120 to $150 range I need to save in a more disciplined manner :o

My standard reference is the Fenwick Techna AV which I can usually find for about $150 or less. However, they don't offer a 6'0" MF casting option (only MM). I could probably live with the 6'6" MF which weighs <3.7 oz, but I'd like to go a bit shorter - hence AllStar consideration.

To much information... :) Problem with analysts is we like to talk things out loud :)

Leon

LAO, consider a Fenwick HMG.  The HMG has two 6'0" options, a M/MF (GT60M) and MH/F (GT60MH).  There is GT60M is rated for 1/4-3/4 oz lures, and the GT60MH is rated for 1/4-1 oz lures.  

The HMG gives up very little to the Techna AV in terms of sensitivity from people that own both.  The HMG is also very good value and can be had for well under the $119 MSRP.  

I have both TASs and HMGs.  As far as sensitivity goes, and overall quality, I'd take the HMG over the TAS all day long.  I have a HMG 6'6" MH/F and a TAS 6'6" MH/F.  The HHG is rated for heavier lures, feels lighter and is, IMO, significantly more sensitive.  It also has a lifetime warranty.  

Thanks Micro, that really helps me to position the TAS.  I picked up the 6'0" HMG spinning rod this winter. but haven't used it yet.  If it works well, the HMG triggerstik may be the route to go.  Early on, I plan to use my new Chronarch MG on my 6'6" MH Techna.  If I can live with the length, I may just go with the 6'6" MF.

My main concern with the 6' M MF Triggerstiks is that I'm thinking plastics and would prefer a fast action.

BTW, do you use a Browning Midas?  I don't think about my much anymore because my father has pretty much adopted it as his own :)

Anyhow, I really appreciate everyone's input.  While I have enough functional equipment, I'm trying to narrow down the alternatives in case I come across an exceptional bargain the suits my needs.  I'm finally learning that a great bargain does not necessarily mean money well spent.  ;D