Sign in to follow this  
MAngler

Surf Casting Setup Ideas

Hello Ya'll. I have been looking to get a surf casting setup to throw some cut bait and eels at the stripers this summer.  I was thinking around 20# mono and a 11' rod in the 3-6 oz class. Plan on spending around $300. Possibly a st croix surf caster and one of those shimano baitrunner reels in the 4500 size. Im not really sure how nice a rod i need for this application as i havent done much saltwater fishing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Without breaking the bank, the Tsunami saltwater rods are decent and affordable. I would consider either the baitrunner or Daiwa emblem.

It really depends on "where" you're fishing. Open beaches? Breachways? If you're throwing bunker heads, you want a long powerful rod that can handle up to at LEAST 5oz. I would recommend PowerPro braid, 50lb and I use Berkley Big Game mono leader material.

A rod for eels can be shorter and more forgiving in my opinion. I wouldn't fish live eels and bunker heads on the same rod.... just me.

I'm thinking more open beaches. I have a 8' greenback rod with a calcutta 400B i throw plugs and some jigs with but i cant seem to get the distance i want with the eels. Maybe i need somethin in between those to get the eels out there.

#1 rule of surfcasting is to fish at night. Sometimes the fish will be at your feet. I wouldn't expect any great distance from that 8' rod however. What is it rated for in ounces? Instead of eels, maybe consider 9" Sluggos.

I do quite a bit of surfcasting down here in Florida. I don't know if this will help but I use 2 set ups. An avet mxj conv on a 9' star rod or ( casts a real long way) or spinning 4000-5000 reel, on 7'6 rod,I use hurricane redbones. I'm not a fan of baitrunners, very heavy. Bear in mind I only use artis.

The majority of fish I catch is in the wash or trough(few feet of water just of shore.

These California boys know surfcasting,

should be a wealth of information here.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/

SirSNook, no offense intended, but New England Surfcasting is another world compared to FLA or CA!  8-)

None taken ,I'm sure it is.  Most of the guys that come down here in the winter from the northeast use van staals.

The forum I referenced covers the east too as well as most areas or the world.  Give it a look.

My 8' is rated at 3/4-2 oz.  I have done ok with that throwing some sluggos on a jig head.  I had planned on night fishing. I bought that rod more for fishing out of my canoe in some tidal streams.

IF you want to save some $$$ on the reel, give the Cabela's Salt Striker Metals a look. Hard to beat for $49 to $69. I have three and put them through quite a bit last fall and they are great. Buddy of mine knows a guide down at the coast and all he uses are the Salt Strikers. For the $$$, IMHO, can't be beat. Very tough.

Eddie

I would agree with ejtaylor.  For surf casting I would stay away from any shimano, they are sand magnets and sand is your worst enemy.  Sometimes you are better off with a decent "disposable reel"  I personally use abu cardinal 4000