Sign in to follow this  
sal669

gear ratio preference for future reel

If you would have to change all your reels or just buy some new ones , what gear ratio would you go for: 6.x:1(regular speed) or 7.x:1(high speed) ?

I'm  thinking about fishing plastics( T-rigs,Crigs, weightless,aso),jigs , spinnerbaits, top water, etc.

Excluding the reels for crankbaiting !

Would you buy both kind of gearing, depending on the techique or bait you are using ?

With the exception of my crankbait reel, all of my baitcasters are 6.3:1. If you look, you can find 6.3:1 reels that are just as fast in inches per turn as most 7:1 reels are. This way you get the extra speed without any loss of power. Best of both worlds IMO.

I would do the 7:1...you can always slow down your retrieve but you'll have a hard time speeding it up if needed.

for plastics, jigs, jerkbaits and topwater, 7:1 is really nice but you can get by fine with 6:1. for spinnerbaits, 6:1. for cranks and swimbaits, 5:1.

for stop-and-go lures, it is easy to slow down with a higher speed reel. however, with constantly moving lures (e.g., crankbaits), many people (myself included) find it much easier to speed up a slower reel when needed than to slow down a high-speed reel.

Computer chip in reel to calculate the water temperature, wind and direction, water clarity, water depth, time of year in your area and the type of bait you are throwing so you will get the optimum gear ratio for the day and time you are fishing.  :)

I would do the 7:1...you can always slow down your retrieve but you'll have a hard time speeding it up if needed.

Exactly.  Not to mention that when you are out of the strike zone, the fast retrieve helps get it back faster for the next cast.

Eddie

Exactly. Not to mention that when you are out of the strike zone, the fast retrieve helps get it back faster for the next cast.

Eddie

X3. Its much less work and more practical to slow down a fast reel than it is to speed up a slow reel