Sign in to follow this  
kwb

spinning rod for skipping docks

To get the good skipping action a fast tip would be best.  Spinning is probably the easiest to learn and use being less problematic than a baitcaster.  See folks using about 10 lb test or going heavier with braid and fluoro leader of about 18".  Definitely want to have at least Medium Heavy power for hook setting and keeping the fish from wrapping around pilings.

I use An Uglystick 6' med power. Alot may disagree with Uglystick Ive seen some pretty bad reviews on BPS but just as many good. Ive used them for as long as I can remember. Skipping is one of my favorite things to do, on the pond that I fish there is a big pavillion type deal that goes out on the water so I try and get as far under as I can. And practice of course. Good Luck

You may want a short rod for skippin, like a 5'6" or a 6 ' rod. It is better than long rods for more control.But it does depend on how tall you are too.

I like short spinning rods for dock work. My rod for this is a St Croix Avid 6' med. power, fast action. I use 8lb fluorocarbon in ultra clear water, and 20lb braid in stained water, or around docks that have alot of weeds under/around them. The medium power Avid is a pretty powerfull little rod and works perfectly for flukes, tubes, senkos, and smaller jigs. The rod has just enough "tip" to really get a good fling to the bait and skip way way back under a dock, and like I said plenty of power to move a bass away from the dock and the hazzards of posts, boat props, and the junk around the docks I fish.

i agree with farmer on this one... i personally like a shorter rod for skipping docks..  i use a 6' med (fast) Shimano Compre which has enough tip but still has enough back bone to drive the hook home..i normally use 8lb P-Line but for heavy cover situations i like 20lb braid if i can get away with it