Sign in to follow this  
evergreen

Compre or Crucial?

I purchased a Curado 200DHSV on closeout a couple of months ago and I want to match it with a 7' MH Rod  to use for lighter jigs and T-Rigs.   I am trying to decided between the Compre or the Crucial.  Is the Crucial worth the extra $50 dollars?

As one who has both, I would say yes, with about 85% bait monkey influence.  ;D

This doesn't put down the Compre in any way. It is a solid rod. I love my compre. I can tell you I feel a bit more sensitivity with the crucial.

The compre has sufficient sensitivity for fishing applications that demand a senistive rod.

Yes, it is worth the $50 difference. Compres are very nice rods for the money and those crankbait series Compres are really good.

It you are using it for lighter jigs and t-rigged plastics then I would say yes. I have a drop shot spinning crucial that I use for drop shot and light texas rigs and it has great sensitivity. I did just order a 6'10 MHXF casting rod that I plan to use for frogs and heavier jigs. I have yet to compare the two, but the crucial blew me away when I used it for the first time a week ago. I have also heard that the compre crankin rods are very good for the $.

It you are using it for lighter jigs and t-rigged plastics then I would say yes. I have a drop shot spinning crucial that I use for drop shot and light texas rigs and it has great sensitivity. I did just order a 6'10 MHXF casting rod that I plan to use for frogs and heavier jigs. I have yet to compare the two, but the crucial blew me away when I used it for the first time a week ago. I have also heard that the compre crankin rods are very good for the $.

That is awesome. Here's my testimonial on the Crucial's sensitivity from last winter. It was the first time I fished from a bassboat and put my crucial to the test.  Middle of January, frosty 22 degrees, my hands were frozen to the bone despite wearing gloves and split mitts.  4.5 hours into fishing the drop shot (lamiglas), I put it down and grab my Crucial 6'10 mh rigged with a 1/2 football jig and DT grub.  We were fishing in 55' of water.  Even with my super numb hands that could barely feel anything, I felt the ultra subtle take of a smallie, 55' down! Let me add that I have zero experience fishing so deep, let alone from a boat in sub freezing weather. Yet, I felt the take. I'm not talking about watching the line move to the side and knowing there is a fish on. The rod told me everything.

Unfortunately, my hook set was poor because I couldn't bend my fingers around the rod nor to grasp my reel's handle.  I had to use the palm of my left hand to crank in the line and put the rod's butt into my gut and my wrist under the foregrip area in a feeble attempt to set the hook.  I fought her for about 15 seconds before I lost her. :'(  Just a testament to the crucial's sensitivity.

I have 3 Crucials and 1 Compre.  I think the extra $ for the Crucial is worth it for bottom bouncing lures (jigs,worms et al) as they are more sensitive.  The Compre makes more sense for applications where less sensitivity is just fine, ie spinnerbaits etc.  Even so, the Compre is up to any job given, as mentioned above by islandbass.

Where sensitivity is concerned, my Crucials are on par or better than my Croix Avids.  The Crucial is, in my opinion, very under-rated.  It's a lot of rod for the price!!

I have the 6'10" MH xfast. If you are fishing jigs and t-rigs it's a great choice. Can't imagine what an extra 2" will do. Perhaps you can ask Bantam in the Shimano Forum, perhaps slightly longer pitches with the same or less effort. My curiosity has definitely been piqued.

I ordered the 7' MH Fast Action Crucial from Tackle Warehouse this morning, now I just need tax season to get over so I can try it out.  Thanks for all of the input from everyone.