Sign in to follow this  
tradequities

reel greasing/oiling

when you guys grease and oil your reels, do you take them apart and clean them first? i mean not just take the sideplate apart and clean what you can reach but i mean unscrew things and really get in there? do you guys know any good sites that can help with that kind of stuff? (unscrewing and putting it back together)

also do you guys degrease or de-oil the bearings before applying new grease/oil?

Oiling your spool bearings, worm shaft, tension knob bearing and handle knobs are part of your regular maintenance, you don't need to remove/clean the bearings if they are working well.

Your reel should be completely disassemble once a year ( may be more if you fish a lot ), clean and grease or oiling where appropriate.

Reelmech website has a lot of information on it, if you are not familiar may be you should consider have it professional clean, it is probably even cheaper than get the tools and juices necessary for the job.

I recommend sending it out for the service you mention.  I'm not saying it can't be done, cause lots of folks break their reels down to service them.  Keep the diagram close and take lots of notes if you never done it before. Otherwise, you'll be sending it out to get it to work again.

Let a pro do the super clean and lube.