Sign in to follow this  
fishingfourfun

New to Baitcasters

I am in the market to purchase a new baitcaster.  I would like to know your feelings on the Johnny Morris Elite Series.  Since I am new I thought the dual braking system might be the way to go.

Jonny morris reels are OK but i was never to keen on the BPS reels.. they always ust felt cheap to me.. just guess its a matter of opinon i suppose... anyways i would reccomend a quantum catalyst or a energy... very good reels for the money

JM reels are nice.  But IMO there is no need for 2 brake systems on a reel.  It makes a reel heavier than necessary, and it offers no real benefit over a quality reel with either just a centrifugal or magnetic brake system.   That being said, the JM Elite is a good reel.  I owned one.  Its a good performer and is well made.   But it has a learning curve as steep as any other reel with just a single brake system.  

IMO, the easiest (and arguably the most effective) brake system to learn is the centrifugal brake.  You pretty much set them and leave them alone.  

If I were new to baitcasting, and had someone offer me this advice, I'd look hard at the Shimano Citica or Shimano Curado.  They are excellent reels, have a large and well deserved following, will last you many years, are backed by excellent customer service, and you will have a lot of pride-of-ownership.  And, they are easy to learn.

Yeah, and you'll save a wad of money too.  You can get yourself some Lucky Craft Pointers with what you save.  

X2 on the Curado or the Citica.  You can even get a closeout deal on a Chronarch B model, right around $190 or so.

Later, :)