Sign in to follow this  
macjiger

larger reel?

I currently have two spinning rods that I use for bass fishing. However this year I plan on salmon fishing more often and need more line capacity for trolling. my current rod setup is as follows:

Fenwick HMG MF with a quantum catalyst pti20

St Croix Premier MLF with a okuma epixor ef20a

I would like to retire the epixor reel, and move the quantum over to the st croix. I need to find a larger reel for my Fenwick. The quantum served me well on the fenwick aside from the weight, making the rod feel unbalanced. I would like to find a reel that can get around 150 yards of 8# line, and is under 10 oz. My budget would be around 100.

thanks for the help.

I just bought a Pflueger Supreme 8035 this morning. Fits your budget perfectly! 200 yards of 8lb test, 8.8 oz, $99.99 retail. Tried it out today, it's friggin' nice even though I don't have it on a good rod. Smooth as butter!

Other than that, Cabela's website has the Quantum Energy PTi-A on sale for $89.99 but I think that one's a little bit over 10 oz. Retails at $149.99. I think I still might end up ordering one of these.

Not the highest end reel but I have an old Cardinal 704. The one that has the drag adjustment at back of the spool at the rotor. Not on the end of the spool.

It holds plenty of line, and has a strong, consistent drag. I use it on a Gander Mountain 8'7 steelhead rod. 30lb braid, 12lb leader.

Ok, I went to Cabelas today to test out some reels and I really liked the shimano symetre 3000, however they were out of stock. So I went over to dicks sporting goods and they had the symetre 3000, but it had a different handle on it. I prefer the smaller one as opposed to the t shaped one that usually comes on the larger reels. I wanted to ask someone who actually owns a symetre 3000 what handle it actually comes with.

thanks in advance

If you are trolling for salmon a 3000 series reel is way too small,and not enough line capacity and an insufficient drag.

I like a pflueger president 5000 for trolling, since you are trolling weight is no issue.  I use this set up for kingfish, bonita, dolphin and barracuda, on a 12-25# muskie rod.

Smoothest reel in my arsenal and blow my stradic fi away.  $79.95

You may want to consider a trolling reel (conventional) I prefer lever drags, but that is a individual choice.