Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

Daiwa Tierra and Advantage spinning?

Howdy,

Trying to figure out what the differences are between the two besides the Advantage being about $25 more with one less bearing. I need two for the following rods so $150 a piece is at about my price limit. Both will probably be 2500 size or maybe a 1500 on the 6'9". Although I must admit the SOL is sweeeeet, its out of the budget. Any sugesttions or experiences with either would be appreciated.

1. Avid 6'8" M x-fast Tubes, Senkos. weighted rubber worms

2. Avid 6'9" ML x-fast Drop shot, shaky head, small spinners

Thanks, Mike

Just to make your decision more difficult, :) Daiwa has a new reel called the Coastal.  It looks similar to the Tierra & Advantage, but is better suited for use in saltwater.  It is about $5 more than the Tierra.

I believe The Natural has commented on the Advantage & Tierra in the past.  He uses the Advantage.  You might find your answers if you search his posts.

With these reels you're in a win-win situation :)

The Advantage has a sealed drag system, the Tierra does not.  I'm going into my second season with been the Advantage, last year with the 2500, this year with the 2000.

You can't go wrong with either reel actually but for $25.00, you're probably better off with the Advantage.

I grabbed my Sol for $169 brand new off the 'bay. Also have the Tierra, both are simply fantastic.

I bought a Tierra this past winter and have not used it yet.  But from spooling up some line it felt very smooth. I can not wait to use it soon.

For what it's worth last year I bout two diawa tierra spinning reels, also an excell spinning reel. For the money, the tierras were the worst money ever spent. IMHO the symetre is twice the reel for less money. The bails on both tierras often times closed on a hard cast. Line twist was also more common than on my less expensive shimanoo reels. The are pretty though.

For what it's worth last year I bout two diawa tierra spinning reels, also an excell spinning reel. For the money, the tierras were the worst money ever spent. IMHO the symetre is twice the reel for less money. The bails on both tierras often times closed on a hard cast. Line twist was also more common than on my less expensive shimanoo reels. The are pretty though.

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing-forum/Smilies/roflmao1.gif

Different people have different experiences... :)  Although my Exceler does occasionally close on a cast, my Stradic FH also did the same thing, but to a lesser degree.  However, the line management in my experience was far better with the Exceler.  My Tierra is smoother than the Exceler and in its limited use has never closed on a cast.  The Symetre would probably cost about the same as a Tierra if it included a spare spool :)

I'm anxious for someone to try the Coastal :)

I grabbed my Sol for $169 brand new off the 'bay. Also have the Tierra, both are simply fantastic.

I'd go along with this, after all it was Matt 5.0 and a couple others that recommended the Tierra, and it is an amazing reel for the money. I like my Pflueger Supreme, but the Tierra takes the cake.