Sign in to follow this  
Deputy Dave

Fast vs. Extra Fast Action

What application do you prefer a extra fast action as opposed the more popular fast action?

I have a St Croix Avid 7ft MH Extra-Fast and don't know what it would be best used for. I've been told everything from buzzbaits to heavy soft plastics. I just thought I would post this question on here to see what you guys most often use your extra-fast rods for...

Thanks in advance!

I have used mine for every thing and it works but best for single hooks and finesse type baits I think the brakes come on to soon with light strikes on treble hooks JMHO I'm no expert just a fisherman.

I recently bought some 3.5" and 5" Money Minnows. I think that I'll try throwing those with this extra-fast action rod and see how it works out.

in my hands, xf works well for anything plastic.

mhf makes for an excellent spinnerbait rod...mf makes an excellent topwater, jerkbait rod.

when it comes to fast, the power of the rod has a lot to do with the equation.

I noticed today while on the G. Loomis website that every rod in their Spinnerbait models have a XF tip. I own several Loomis rods and feel pretty confident they know what they are doing when it comes to rod blanks. I've actually had several people tell me that they would use my rod for a spinnerbait/buzzbait rod.

I'm just still trying to decide what would work best for me..

Thanks for the suggestions so far!!!

I've owned the Loomis spinnerbait rod and it is amazing, Im so ticked at myself for selling it but I needed the $$ at the time. My Loomis BCR803 is MH with an XF tip, I use it for topwater,spinnerbaits and some lighter swimbaits and for what I do, it does them all well enough for me.

Thanks for the reply ArcticCat500 !!!

Its just really interesting to me that Loomis uses XF action in their entire spinnerbait rod line-up but most other rod companies seem to use a moderate-fast or moderate tips for their spinnerbait specific rods!

Keeps the ideas coming!

I prefer extra fast action far all applications  :)