Sign in to follow this  
-ebby-

A little help picking a good all around reel

im looking for a good all around reel in the 100-150 range. Right now im thinking the revo sx, curado e, or citica e. First is it it worth the extra money to go to the curado? really what i want to know is what one is the best? I want to use it mainly for weightless senko type baits and small trigs but would also like to be able to throw a frog into the thick stuff and maybe some small jigs. Just want some opinions.

I've got a Curado 200E7 and a Citica 200E, and there's a noticeable difference in smoothness between the two, and I prefer the feel of the Curado's knobs when cranking. As far as casting difference, I see very little difference between the two with weights greater than 3/8 oz. If you plan on tossing anything lighter than that, the Curado does a better job than the Citica.

FWIW, a 7" Power Worm, 3/0 EWG hook, and 1/8 oz. bullet weight actually weigh in at about 3/8 oz. according to my little digital shop scale. As long as you're not casting weightless Trick Worms or 1/4 oz cranks, you'll probably never notice the difference.

The problem I have with the curado is that it is not offered in 6.4 and for just an all around reel I like 6.4 so I guess I would say the citica

For a 6.4:1 reel the Citica, but with that said the Curado is a little bit smoother and does cast a little better, especially the lighter weight lures.  I know you can order the 6.4:1 gears from the Citica and put them in the Curado.  I believe the gear set is around $25(Bantam1 mentioned it somewhere).  But you can also get a Chronarch B in 6.4:1 for around $190 and have even a better reel then the Curado.

Later, :)

The problem I have with the curado is that it is not offered in 6.4 and for just an all around reel I like 6.4 so I guess I would say the citica

Don't let the Curado E7's gear ratio scare you off. The line recovery is only 30" per crank, which only 2" per crank more than most 6.4:1 reels and 3" more than the 6.3:1 Citica 200E. It's right in line with most mid-sized spinning reels as well.

It's funny how much weight we place on a baitcaster's gear ratio, but almost completely ignore the gear ratio and line recovery of our spinning reels.

ok so i think between the curado and citica i would probably go for the curado since it sounds like its a little better and probably worth the extra. Now between the curado and the revo sx which would be better? say the same gear ratio and that type of stuff. What is the better one for casting especially light lures and which is going to last and hold up longer?

Flip a coin.  Both reels are excellent.  Both do things equally well and will last you a very long time with just the normal routine maintenance.

The Revo has a killer drag system but I am not fond of the magnetic brakes.  I really like the Curados centrifugal brakes and the drag is very adequate.  I like the handle and the knobs a little better on the Curado and it is tad bit lighter.

I would say go to the local tackle store hold both of them, try both of them on the rod you are planning on getting and see which one you like the feel of better.

Later, :)

I think they're both good reels and with proper maintenance either one would last you a very long time. The real question is which style of brake do you prefer, magnetic or centrifugal?

ETA: Apparently adclem types a little faster than I do.  ;D