Sign in to follow this  
uicdent11

Rod Upgrade: Compre vs Premier

I am going to upgrade my crankbait rod and have narrowed it down to these two. CPC-C66MB or PC66MM? Which one would you choose? I am specifically looking at the 6'6 medium for throwing shallow to medium divers. Thanks again for all your help.

I've never used either one, but the Compre has a lifetime warranty and Fuji guides while the Premier has a 5 year warranty and Batson guides. Based on their specs, I'd say Compre but it really comes down to how it feels in the hand.

I have owned both. I still own a Compre if you want a great crankbait rod try a 6'6" Avid Med Mod. This is what I use and have for the last 5 years. I just can not bring myself to try another.

I would like to look at the mojo, but I am in need of a medium action rod for throwing light cranks. I am leaning compre or crucial ($95 used). I can't afford the avid right now because I plan to buy the 68mxf rod for soft plastics as well.

I have the Compre in 7 ft med and med-heavy and love them.

They are mod fast action though, not moderate. They work great in weedy waters because it's easier to rip them free of weeds and get the reaction strikes. If the rod is to soft it's hard to impossible to rip the crankbait free of weeds, in my experience. For rocky or woody situations you might want a softer rod (moderate to parabolic)

I have no experience with the Premier or Mojo.

Tight lines

Premier and Compre are both nice rods. If you can spare a few bucks more, I would try to go for a Crucial over either, but out of the two, the Compre might be the better deal. I have two Premiers and they're great rods. One of the best rods, dollar for dollar, is probably Shimano, though. The lifetime warranty is a big factor in my opinion. St. Croix and Shimano have both taken care of me in the past, but 5 years versus lifetime OTC... no-brainer on that front.

I really like St. Croix's upgrade plan.  Trade in your old rod and get the next level up and save a few bones.

Later, ;)