Sign in to follow this  
CanalStalkin

few beginner questions regarding rod/reel

Hello, I first posted up in the tackle section regarding setting up a tackle box and had a few questions regarding rod/reels. Right now I have an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 baitcaster reel on a 7 foot medium action ugly stick, I also have a small shakespear spinning reel on a 7 foot Ultra Lite pro rod. The rod I have on my ugly stick is built alot stiffer and is bigger, they both say medium so is one like a "heavier" medium? I am hell bent on learning to use a baitcaster, but I cant for the life of me throw light tackle with my baitcaster. Is it because of the style of reel it is? I have seen the smaller baitcaster reels and am considering getting one. Also this "heavier" medium action pole seems to make it harder also. Any recommendations on a rod/reel combo would be great.

Suggestions:

Get a Bass Pro Shops or Cabella's catalog and look at their combos for ideas.

Note the "specifications" of the reels you are considering.  The higher the "ratio" the faster the retrieve.  A 6:1 is a good choice.

Use 12 pound test line on the baitcaster.

Note the "specifications:" on the rod.  They are written above the handle on the rod. Balance the reel, line test and bait weight with the rod's specifications.

A 6-foot, 6-inch medium heavy graphite rod is a good selection, but once again, check the reel's specs and the lures you want to throw to make sure the rod can handle them.

You can gather a lot of information in the BPS and Cabella's catalogs.

After you decide on three or four reels and rods, go to the company's web site and read what they have to say.

And you can always go to a tackle shop and ask the guys what they suggest.

Have fun selecting your combo. It will be the first of many.  ;)

with the gear youve listed you will have a hard time tossing the light tackle. abu round reels can toss light tackle but the 5000 would be my last pick to do so.

it would IMO make a great spinnerbait/deep crankbait reel.

While you are just beginning with a baitcaster, don't start with light weights.  Practice with at least 3/8 to 1/2 oz weight.  Look at the Baitcasting setup sticky at the top of this forum and use those tips as a starting point.  At first, start conservatively and don't try to cast across the lake.  Be please with a 20 to 30 ft cast.  When you can do those 10 times in a row without backlash, then you can lighten the spool tension slightly or cast a bit hard.  At that point be please with 35 ft casts, and so on...

I've been there recently and still have a ways to go myself  ;)

Leon