Sign in to follow this  
Boett43

Quatum PT Energy Rods

Anyone have any personal experience with these rods?

I have the 7' 1/4-3/4 and really like it.  I can't compare it to anything as it is the first casting rod I have owned.  Seems well made, I haven't broken it yet which says quite a bit (just broke fly rod # 8 today).  Payed $50 on ebay for it last season.  

I picked 2 up back in March and couldn't be happier with them! I got a 7' MHF and a 7'6" HF flippin stick. I've been using the 7 footer for plastics and feel the rod is plenty sensitive and good backbone. I'm looking to add a couple more to my line up as I can! If you have any questions, let me know.

Hey basser are you talking about the ones that are around 109.99$. And which of the rods whould you reccomend for river fishing in the potomac?

Hey basser are you talking about the ones that are around 109.99$. And which of the rods whould you reccomend for river fishing in the potomac?

Yep! Same ones! The two I picked up are models: QEC706F and QEC767FT. I've been using the 767FT for fishing tubes for smallies on the Potomac. I actually use more spinning gear when I'm fishing for smallies so I'm thinking about adding a QEC665F spinning rod. If you're looking to stick with casting gear, a QEC665F or the QEC666F would probably suit your needs.

If you have any questions about the spec of the different models, check this page out!  http://www.quantumfishing.com/prod_pages/EnergyRods.htm

I got mine from TW so free shipping!  B)

Let me know if I can help you out any more!

I owned 5 of them back in the early '90s. It was the first rod (or reel for that matter) titled tour edition...there weren't any tour edition reels at that point.  No 'PT' in the title either. The rods were lighter and more sensitive than the All-Star IM6 or Original Falcon that were popular at the time. The rod stated 'HSX54 blank by Lamiglas' underneath the power and weight ratings. It apparently uses the same blank today....all these years later. I'd like to test one up against a compre and premier; the PT just doesn't get mentioned because it has the cursed 'quantum' name on it. The original Tour Edition rod was $99 back in 1990.  

IMO, both the Tour PT and Energy PT are great rods. I am mostly a G-Loomis guy, but I have to say when it comes to pure power and strength, both these Quantum rods kick butt. There both also light weight and very sensitive.

I use the Energy PT rods for things like Cranks and Top Waters and the Tour PT for just about anything else. Mixed in with my G-Loomis rods i could not be happier. I'll tell you where these rods really shine is in pure strength. I have set the hook super hard not only into fish, but into stumps and stuff, (When in dought set the hook) and have yet to break one of the Quantum rods. Situations in which the Loomis would break, the Quantum just LOL and keeps on ticking.

The Tour especially, is one of my favorite rods, IMO it's very close to Loomis IMX, maybe just a small tad heavier, where talking a 1/2 oz or so here, and maybe just a hair less sensitive (if you can tell the difference more power to you for I really can't), but for sure stronger. In fact every time I use one of these rods I think to myself why the heck did I spent so much on Loomis IMX. The GLX may be a different story, but when compared to IMX, this rod is very close.

This is coming from a G-Loomis user of 20 years. It's just my opinion for whatever that's worth.