Sign in to follow this  
carrothead

Braid on Topwaters

Will braid affect the action of a topwater, such as a spook?  If it does, could I use a mono leader to compensate?

supposedly braid can effect the action of a top water bait, but without knowing this last year i used it and had success with it.  maybe i would have done better with mono. But yes you can definitely use a mono leader.

here is a line guide that was very helpful to me: http://www.another site/articles/fishing-line-guide/

Yes, it will affect topwater lures. It will make them more responsive, won't drag the front under due to sinking, and make hooksets more secure, plus will improve the odds of getting the fish in the boat.

Do I use braid for topwaters- YES

Braid negatively affects the action of topwaters IMO. The only topwater I use braid with are frogs, and even then I use a mono leader.

Braid is all I use on topwater, I have not seen any negative affects on the bait. IMO I think the line floating helps some baits react better since they don't have to push the line through the water. Plus you get a better hook up with little to no line stretch on the hook set. I would also reccommend a high speed reel for any top water baits if you can. A 7 to 1 can really help you catch up to those fish you run up behind a bait and make a run to the boat.

Harshman

i have used both and there is a difference but not that much. if you were catching $100,000 fish(bassmasters) it might be worth the advantage of mono. fish what you have or are comfortable with.

Braid is great for top waters because is floats and your baits respond well but on the other hand it is horrible because it is so limp that the line will often catch the front hook an ruin your cast.  You can get around this by useing a stiff mono leader but I'm too lazy.  Therefore, I fish mono on topwaters.  

Anything I ever do with topwaters except frogs is done with mono. Ask any pro and he will say the same thing, the stretch of mono will help you  at hooking fish because you won't yank it out of the fishes mouth.

Capt.O