Sign in to follow this  
mrlitetackle

re-coloring braid with a marker....

Ok....so i know a bunch of you re-color your old braid with a marker or felt pen.....

My braid is getting a little old at this point and i was thinking of trying this out, but.......

markers smell nasty......!!!!!!

for those of you who do it.....do you think the fish care about the smell...or does the smell wear off in a short period of time??

honestly....i dont use a leader in fresh water (just straight braid)..and the visibility of the line doesn't seem to matter to the fish at all...i catch as many now as i did before.....

but the piece of mind, and confidence issue is coming into play....i want the braid to be a nice dark green again, so i feel better about it!!

but i am not gonna be very confident at all if my line always stinks like a sharpie!!!

what are your thoughts....

Hello Mrlite tackle, I use Yo-zuri Hybrid and the guys at the factory told me to color the last 7 or 8 feet with a light pink marker. The reason being is that pink and red are the first colors in the spectrum that can not be seen  the deeper  you go. I have noticed a huge difference in the clear sheen my line used to give off, it is now almost invisible to my eyes in just 2 or 3 feet down.That is why Cajun Line and Ande line use light red and pink.

As far as the odor, I just lather on some megastrike to the lure and line then I'm good to go.

Hookset 8-)

I color my braided line w/ a black Sharpie, I use the wide Sharpie & I put a slit in the middle.

I was also bothered that the smell of the Sharpie would keep the bass away, but it's not the case. After a few casts, the smell eventually wears off. If there is any residue, the bass don't seem to mind. I still get lots of hits w/ re-colored braid.

Check out this thread I wrote, look at the pic & the line on the spool.  That's red colored braid from Power Pro, I colored I guess the first 10' of line w/ a black sharpie.  I caught that bass on a SK Anaconda, so as I said the bass don't seem to mind it,  I caught 2 bass that day.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1241559841

I color the braided lines on my b/c & spinning reels.  I sometimes do this also after I color braided line; I'll use a 1/2 oz practice plug & cast out on my yard when the grass is wet or when it's moist.  I'll make numerous casts & run the line in the grass, this helps get the strong smell off the braid.  Most times I'll just head to the lake & start fishing, starting w/ cranks or a lure that I can reel in quick.  Doing this will also get most of the marker smell.  Then I'll go to a slower presentation like a worm & jig, see if I get bites....& I do.

As long as the braid holds a good knot and holds fish, I don't care what it looks like.

People put too much emphasis on line and visibility, diameter etc etc etc! For the majority of situations i say just put it on and go!